Current:Home > MarketsSuspect charged in rapper Tupac Shakur’s fatal shooting will appear in a court in Las Vegas -Ascend Wealth Education
Suspect charged in rapper Tupac Shakur’s fatal shooting will appear in a court in Las Vegas
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 00:58:07
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A self-described gangster who police and prosecutors say masterminded the shooting death of Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas in 1996 is due to make his first appearance Wednesday before a Nevada judge.
Duane “Keffe D” Davis, 60, was arrested Friday during an early-morning walk near his home in suburban Henderson. A few hours later a grand jury indictment was unsealed in Clark County District Court charging him with murder.
Grand jurors also voted to add sentencing enhancements for the use of a deadly weapon and alleged gang activity. If Davis is convicted, that could add decades to his sentence.
Davis denied a request from The Associated Press for an interview from jail where he’s being held without bond. Court records don’t list an attorney who could comment on his behalf.
Davis had been a suspect in the case, and publicly admitted his role in the killing in interviews ahead of his 2019 tell-all memoir, “Compton Street Legend.”
“There’s one thing that’s for sure when living that gangster lifestyle,” he wrote. “You already know that the stuff you put out is going to come back; you never know how or when, but there’s never a doubt that it’s coming.”
Davis’ own comments revived the police investigation that led to the indictment, police and prosecutors said. In mid-July, Las Vegas police raided Davis’ home, drawing renewed attention to one of hip-hop music’s most enduring mysteries.
Prosecutors allege Shakur’s killing stemmed from a rivalry and competition for dominance in a musical genre that, at the time, was dubbed “gangsta rap.” It pitted East Coast members of a Bloods gang sect associated with rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight against West Coast members of a Crips sect that Davis has said he led in Compton, California.
Tension escalated in Las Vegas the night of Sept. 7, 1996, when a brawl broke out between Shakur and Davis’ nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, at the MGM Grand hotel-casino following a heavyweight championship boxing match won by Mike Tyson.
Knight and Shakur went to the fight, as did members of the South Side Crips,” prosecutor Marc DiGiacomo said last week in court. “And (Knight) brought his entourage, which involved Mob Piru gang members.”
After the casino brawl, Knight drove a BMW with Shakur in the front passenger seat. The car was stopped at a red light near the Las Vegas Strip when a white Cadillac pulled up on the passenger side and gunfire erupted.
Shot multiple times, Shakur died a week later at age 25. Knight was grazed by a bullet fragment.
Davis has said he was in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac and handed a .40-caliber handgun to his nephew in the back seat, from which he said the shots were fired.
In Nevada, a person can be convicted of murder for helping another person commit the crime.
Among the four people in the Cadillac that night, Davis is the only one still alive. Anderson died in a May 1998 shooting in Compton. Before his death, Anderson denied involvement in Shakur’s death. The other backseat passenger, DeAndre “Big Dre” or “Freaky” Smith, died in 2004. The driver, Terrence “Bubble Up” Brown, died in a 2015 shooting in Compton.
Knight, now 58, is now serving a 28-year prison sentence for running over and killing a Compton businessman outside a burger stand in January 2015.
Sheriff Kevin McMahill, who oversees the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, has acknowledged criticism that his agency was slow to investigate Shakur’s killing.
“That was simply not the case,” McMahill said. He called the investigation “important to this police department.”
Shakur’s sister, Sekyiwa “Set” Shakur, issued a statement describing the arrest as “a pivotal moment” but didn’t praise authorities who investigated the case.
“The silence of the past 27 years surrounding this case has spoken loudly in our community,” she said.
veryGood! (761)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Mapping out the Israel-Hamas war
- As Alabama Judge Orders a Takeover of a Failing Water System, Frustrated Residents Demand Federal Intervention
- 'Anatomy of a Fall' dissects a marriage and, maybe, a murder
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- North Korea raises specter of nuclear strike over US aircraft carrier’s arrival in South Korea
- State Department announces plan to fly Americans out of Israel
- AP Week in Pictures: Global | Oct. 6 - 12, 2023
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Timeline: The long history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Ranking
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Factory fishing in Antarctica for krill targets the cornerstone of a fragile ecosystem
- China’s exports, imports fell 6.2% in September as global demand faltered
- In Beirut, Iran’s foreign minister warns war could spread if Israeli bombardment of Gaza continues
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Court hearing to discuss contested Titanic expedition is canceled after firm scales back dive plan
- Climate change sees IOC aim to choose hosts of 2030 and 2034 Winter Olympics at same time next July
- The family of a 24-year-old killed by Hamas at the Supernova music festival asked for 10 strangers to attend her funeral. Thousands showed up.
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Sen. Bob Menendez hit with new charge of conspiring to act as foreign agent
How long does retirement last? Most American men don't seem to know
Douglas Clark, convicted murderer and half of the Sunset Strip Killers, dies of natural causes
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Report: Abortion declined significantly in North Carolina in first month after new restrictions
Donald Trump returning to civil trial next week with fixer-turned-foe Michael Cohen set to testify
Trial date set for Memphis man accused of raping a woman a year before jogger’s killing