Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:UAW president says more strike action unless 'serious progress' made -Ascend Wealth Education
Johnathan Walker:UAW president says more strike action unless 'serious progress' made
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 20:46:53
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain said the union’s strike will expand if “serious progress” isn’t made in the contract negotiations with automakers by Friday.
Fain said in a Monday evening update posted on Johnathan Walkersocial media that the deadline for greater progress in the union’s talks with Ford, GM and Stellantis is Friday, Sept. 22, at noon.
“That will mark more than a week since our first members walked out. And that will mark more than a week of the ‘big three’ failing to make progress in negotiations toward reaching a deal that does right by our members,” he said in his video message.
MORE: UAW president reacts to automakers' temporary layoffs of non-striking employees: 'Their plan won't work'
“Autoworkers have waited long enough to make things right at the ‘big three.’ We’re not waiting around, and we’re not messing around,” he added.
On Monday, the labor strike against the three largest motor vehicle manufacturers in the United States carried into a fourth day amid ongoing negotiations to reach a deal.
The UAW, which represents nearly 150,000 American autoworkers, launched a strike early Friday against General Motors, Ford and Stellantis -- often called the “big three.” Almost 13,000 workers walked out of three auto plants in Michigan, Missouri and Ohio. The union is utilizing a "stand-up" strike method to target specific plants and add to the list if a deal isn't reached.
The UAW held talks with Ford on Saturday, GM on Sunday and planned to meet with Stellantis on Monday, a union source told ABC News. The conversations with Ford were "reasonably productive," the source said.
Sticking points in negotiations were wage increases and the length of the workweek. The union is demanding a 46% pay increase combined over the four-year duration of a new contract, as well as a 32-hour workweek at 40-hour pay. So far, all three of the Detroit-based companies have each put forward proposals that offered workers a 20% pay increase over the life of the agreement but preserved a 40-hour workweek.
After the unprecedented strike began on Friday, Ford laid off 600 workers who assemble cars at a plant in Michigan. Workers in the paint department at a nearby plant are out on strike, leaving the assembly workers without adequate parts since the parts require paint before they can be put together into cars, a company spokesperson told ABC News.
MORE: UAW launches strike against Big 3 automakers
President Joe Biden said Friday he is deploying acting Labor Secretary Julie Su and White House senior adviser Gene Sperling to Detroit to offer their support for the parties in reaching an agreement.
Economists previously told ABC News that a strike could result in billions of dollars in losses, disruption to the supply chain and other financial consequences.
ABC News' Meredith Deliso, Jolie Lash and Max Zahn contributed to this report.
veryGood! (71)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Ex-Green Beret behind failed Venezuela raid released pending trial on weapons charges
- John Stamos Reveals Why He Was Kicked Out of a Scientology Church
- Surfer Carissa Moore was pregnant competing in Paris Olympics
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- A prosecutor asks for charges to be reinstated against Alec Baldwin in the ‘Rust’ case
- Brian Stelter rejoining CNN 2 years after he was fired by cable network
- YouTuber Paul Harrell Announces His Own Death at 58
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Regulators call for investigation of Shein, Temu, citing reports of 'deadly baby products'
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- California settles lawsuit with Sacramento suburb over affordable housing project
- Maryland will participate in the IRS’s online tax filing program
- Led by Caitlin Clark, Kelsey Mitchell, Indiana Fever clinch first playoff berth since 2016
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Death doulas and the death positive movement | The Excerpt
- Ben Platt Marries Noah Galvin After Over 4 Years of Dating
- Worst team in MLB history? 120-loss record inevitable for Chicago White Sox
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Regulators call for investigation of Shein, Temu, citing reports of 'deadly baby products'
Karolina Muchova returns to US Open semifinals for second straight year by beating Haddad Maia
4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in juvenile court in beating death of classmate: Reports
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Election 2024 Latest: Trump and Harris focus on tax policy ahead of next week’s debate
New Hampshire US House hopefuls offer gun violence solutions in back-to-back debates
Footage of motorcade racing JFK to the hospital after he was shot is set to go to auction