Current:Home > MySurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Residents prepare to return to sites of homes demolished in Lahaina wildfire 7 weeks ago -Ascend Wealth Education
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Residents prepare to return to sites of homes demolished in Lahaina wildfire 7 weeks ago
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:02:14
HONOLULU (AP) — From just outside the burn zone in Lahaina,Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center Jes Claydon can see the ruins of the rental home where she lived for 13 years and raised three children. Little remains recognizable beyond the jars of sea glass that stood outside the front door.
On Monday, officials are expected to begin lifting restrictions on entry to the area, and Claydon hopes to collect those jars and any other mementos she might find.
“I want the freedom to just be there and absorb what happened,” Claydon said. “Whatever I might find, even if it’s just those jars of sea glass, I’m looking forward to taking it. ... It’s a piece of home.”
Authorities will begin allowing the first residents and property owners to return to their properties in the burn zone, many for the first time since it was demolished nearly seven weeks ago, on Aug. 8, by the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century.
The prospect of returning has stirred strong emotions in residents who fled in vehicles or on foot as the wind-whipped flames raced across Lahaina, the historic capital of the former Hawaiian kingdom, and overcame people stuck in traffic trying to escape.
Some survivors jumped over a sea wall and sheltered in the waves as hot black smoke blotted out the sun. The wildfire killed at least 97 people and destroyed more than 2,000 buildings, most of them homes.
Claydon’s home was a single-story cinderblock house painted a reddish-tan, similar to the red dirt in Lahaina. She can see the property from a National Guard blockade that has kept unauthorized people out of the burn zone. A few of the walls are still standing, and some green lawn remains, she said.
Authorities have divided the burned area into 17 zones and dozens of sub-zones. Residents or property owners of the first to be cleared for reentry — known as Zone 1C, along Kaniau Road in the north part of Lahaina — will be allowed to return on supervised visits Monday and Tuesday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Those eligible could pick up passes from Friday to Sunday in advance.
Darryl Oliveira, interim administrator of the Maui Emergency Management Agency, said officials also want to ensure that they have the space and privacy to reflect or grieve as they see fit.
“They anticipate some people will only want to go for a very short period of time, a few minutes to say goodbye in a way to their property,” Hawaii Gov. Josh Green said last week. “Others may want to stay several hours. They’re going to be very accommodating.”
Those returning will be provided water, shade, washing stations, portable toilets, medical and mental health care, and transportation assistance if needed. Nonprofit groups are also offering personal protective equipment, including masks and coveralls. Officials have warned ash could contain asbestos, lead, arsenic or other toxins.
While some residents, like Claydon, might be eager to find jewelry, photographs or other tokens of their life before the fire, officials are urging them not to sift through the ashes for fear of raising toxic dust that could endanger them or their neighbors downwind.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- UK fans wonder if Taylor Swift will say ‘So long, London’ after Eras Tour
- British Cyclist Katie Archibald Breaks Leg Weeks Before 2024 Paris Olympics Appearance
- When does Sha'Carri Richardson run at US Olympic trials?
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Dollar Tree left lead-tainted applesauce on shelves for weeks after recall, FDA says
- College World Series championship round breakdown: Does Tennessee or Texas A&M have the edge?
- Air Force colonel one of 2 men killed when small plane crashed into Alaska lake
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Kevin Costner Confirms His Yellowstone Future After Shocking Exit
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Broadway's Baayork Lee: What she did for love
- Chicago Pride Fest 2024 has JoJo Siwa, Natasha Bedingfield, drag queens: What to know
- Watch interviews with the 2024 Tony nominees
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Spain vs. Italy highlights: Spain wins Euro 2024 showdown with own goal, score
- Hutchinson Island rip current drowns Pennsylvania couple vacationing in Florida
- Federal judge to consider a partial end to special court oversight of child migrants
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Prison, restitution ordered for ex-tribal leader convicted of defrauding Oglala Sioux Tribe
Americans may struggle for another five years as buying power shrinks more, report says
Matthew Stafford's Wife Kelly Says She Once Dated His Backup Quarterback to Make NFL Star Jealous
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Ryan Garcia suspended 1 year for failed drug test, win over Devin Haney declared no contest
Video shows deer warning yearling, Oregon family of approaching black bear
How 'Bikeriders' stars Tom Hardy, Austin Butler channeled motorcycle gang culture