Current:Home > FinanceSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|See photos of recovered Titan sub debris after "catastrophic implosion" during Titanic voyage -Ascend Wealth Education
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|See photos of recovered Titan sub debris after "catastrophic implosion" during Titanic voyage
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 21:21:36
Pieces of debris from the sub that officials say imploded while carrying five people to the wreckage of the Titanic last week have Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centerarrived back on land. Photos from the Canadian Press and Reuters news agency show crews unloading large pieces of the Titan submersible in Newfoundland.
The debris arrived in St. John's, Newfoundland, Wednesday, the U.S. Coast Guard said in a statement.
The agency also said "presumed human remains" recovered from the sub's wreckage would undergo analysis by American medical professionals.
Evidence recovered from the sea floor for the U.S.-led investigation into the implosion would be transported to a U.S. port for analysis and testing, the Coast Guard said.
"The evidence will provide investigators from several international jurisdictions with critical insights into the cause of this tragedy," Coast Guard Capt. Jason Neubauer, the chief investigator, said in the statement. "There is still a substantial amount of work to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of the TITAN and help ensure a similar tragedy does not occur again."
The emergence of images of the Titan comes about a week after the Coast Guard announced an underwater robot had discovered debris from the sub about 1,600 feet from the bow of the Titanic at the bottom of the Atlantic. The Coast Guard said the debris was "consistent with a catastrophic implosion of the vessel."
Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood, his 19-year-old son Suleman, billionaire adventurer Hamish Harding, French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet and OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush were on the sub and died in the disaster.
The debris field was found last Thursday by a deep-sea robot, also known as a remotely operated vehicle or ROV, from Pelagic Research Services, according to the company. On Wednesday, the company announced workers had completed "off-shore operations."
"They have been working around the clock now for ten days, through the physical and mental challenges of this operation, and are anxious to finish the mission and return to their loved ones," the company said in a statement on social media.
The company said it couldn't comment on the investigation looking into what caused the implosion that will involve Canada, France and the U.K.
Pieces of debris from the doomed sub that carried five people to the wreckage of the Titanic have been pulled from the ocean and returned to land. https://t.co/0apdiUQIk4 pic.twitter.com/yBZHUXn7jA
— CBS News (@CBSNews) June 28, 2023
"It's an opportunity to learn from the incident and then work with our international partners worldwide ... to prevent a similar occurrence," Neubauer told reporters Sunday.
The discovery of the debris followed a massive search effort for the sub. The Titan lost contact with a Canadian research vessel June 18 about an hour and 45 minutes into its dive to the wreckage of the famed ocean liner that sank on its maiden voyage in 1912.
Planes and vessels from several countries, including the U.S., focused on the search area approximately 900 nautical miles from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, for days before the debris field was located.
After the Coast Guard revealed the sub had imploded, a U.S. Navy official told CBS News the Navy detected "an acoustic anomaly consistent with an implosion" shortly after the sub lost contact with the surface. The information was relayed to the Coast Guard, which used it to narrow the search area, the official said.
Aliza Chasan contributed reporting.
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- Submersible
Alex Sundby is a senior editor for CBSNews.com
TwitterveryGood! (98)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- ‘Dune: Part Two’ brings spice power to the box office with $81.5 million debut
- Nikki Haley rejects third-party No Labels presidential bid, says she wouldn't be able to work with a Democratic VP
- What is a 'boy mom' and why is it cringey? The social media term explained
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Michelle Troconis found guilty of conspiring to murder Jennifer Dulos, her bf's ex-wife
- Kyle Larson again wins at Las Vegas to keep Chevrolet undefeated on NASCAR season
- RHOSLC’s Heather Gay Admits Ozempic Use Made Her Realize Body Positivity Was a Lie
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- 2024 Oscars Guide: Original Song
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Taylor Swift performs 'Story' mashup for Singapore's secret songs on Eras Tour
- The Missouri governor shortens the DWI prison sentence of former Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid
- Masked shooters kill 4 people and injure 3 at an outdoor party in California, police say
- Trump's 'stop
- Police charge man after pregnant Amish woman slain in Pennsylvania
- Lawyers who successfully argued Musk pay package was illegal seek $5.6 billion in Tesla stock
- Suspected drunk driver charged with killing bride on wedding night released on bail
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
What is a 'boy mom' and why is it cringey? The social media term explained
Texas wildfires map: Track latest locations of blazes as dry weather, wind poses threat
Chicago ‘mansion’ tax to fund homeless services stuck in legal limbo while on the ballot
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
SpaceX calls off crew launch to space station due to high winds along flight path
Rihanna performs first full concert in years at billionaire Mukesh Ambani's party for son
Collision of 2 firetrucks heading to burning house injures 6 firefighters, police chief says