Current:Home > ContactMilestone: 1st container ship arrives since Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse -Ascend Wealth Education
Milestone: 1st container ship arrives since Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 05:41:54
The first container ship has arrived at the Port of Baltimore a month after the cargo ship Dali lost power and rammed a support column of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, leading to the collapse of the structure into the Patapsco River and killing six construction workers.
The Port of Baltimore posted on X that it had "another milestone" on Sunday after the first container ship arrived at Seagirt Terminal since the collapse.
MSC Passion II came through the "35-foot-deep temporary channel," the port said. "Nearly 1,000 containers handled by about 80 (International Longshoremen's Association Local 333) workers. We're getting there."
Fourth temporary channel closed to focus on 'removal of the Dali'
Temporary alternate channels were established when the bridge collapsed on March 26. Three temporary channels are currently open, while the fourth closed on Monday.
The U.S. Coast Guard closed the fourth channel, which is 35 feet deep, after it had been open since April 25. The channel is not expected to reopen until May 10, the port said..
The three channels that remain open are 20-, 14- and 11-foot deep, according to the port.
"The focus is on recovery, salvage and removal of the Dali from the main channel," the port said on X.
Port of Baltimore's permanent channel to reopen by end of May
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers anticipates that the Port of Baltimore's permanent 700-foot-wide, 50-foot-deep channel will reopen by the end of May, the port says.
"We continue to deeply appreciate everyone's patience as we continue to work through this unimaginable situation," the port said. "We remind everyone to keep their thoughts on the families that have suffered unreplaceable losses."
The bodies of four of the six dead construction workers have been recovered by authorities, while the other two have not been found.
Maynor Suazo Sandoval, 38; Dorlian Castillo Cabrera, 26; Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35; and Carlos Daniel Hernández, 24, were identified as the recovered bodies. The bodies of Miguel Luna and José Mynor López have not been found.
Contributing: Thao Nguyen, USA TODAY
veryGood! (8548)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 911 call shows man suspected in plan to attack Colorado amusement park was found dead near a ride
- Opposition mounts in Arab countries that normalized relations with Israel
- Pope Francis says he’ll spend 3 days in Dubai for COP28 climate conference
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- 'It's time!': Watch Mariah Carey thaw out to kick off Christmas season
- House weighs censure efforts against Rashida Tlaib and Marjorie Taylor Greene over their rhetoric
- Storied football rivalry in Maine takes on extra significance in wake of shooting
- Sam Taylor
- Connecticut officer charged with assault after stun gunning accused beer thief
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Maine considers closing loophole that allows foreign government spending on referendums
- Alex Murdaugh doesn’t want the judge from his murder trial deciding if he gets a new day in court
- McDonald's, Chipotle to raise prices in California as minimum wage increases for workers
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Alabama parents arrested after their son's decomposing body found in broken freezer
- Starbucks holiday menu returns: New cups and coffees like peppermint mocha back this week
- When Kim Kardashian's nipple bra dropped, some people laughed. Breast cancer patients rejoiced.
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Ohio State is No. 1, committee ignores Michigan scandal lead College Football Fix podcast
Kim Kardashian's Son Saint West Debuts Buzzed Hair and Tattoo Look for Halloween
McDonald's, Chipotle to raise prices in California as minimum wage increases for workers
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Low World Series TV ratings in 2023 continue 7-year downward trend
Philadelphia prison escape unnoticed because of unrepaired fence, sleeping guard, prosecutor says
Cornell University student accused of posting online threats about Jewish students appears in court