Current:Home > ContactSouth Carolina House votes to expand voucher program. It’s fate in Senate is less clear -Ascend Wealth Education
South Carolina House votes to expand voucher program. It’s fate in Senate is less clear
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 03:55:13
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Republicans in the South Carolina House gave key approval Wednesday to a bill expanding a program allowing parents to spend taxpayer money on private and home-school education even as a pilot plan is just starting and the state’s highest court is considering whether it is legal.
After the 69-32 vote, the bill faces one more routine approval before heading to the Senate, where leadership has been more dubious about going ahead with the court case hanging over the education voucher program. But Senate leadership hasn’t shut the door on expansion.
The opposition was almost entirely Democrats, joined by two Republicans.
“I might plant a few acres of something to see how it’s going to work. But I don’t think I want to go and experiment with my entire operation and not know what the results might be,” said Democratic Rep. Russell Ott, whose family owns a farm in St. Matthews.
The General Assembly passed what it calls the education scholarship trust fund program last year with a cap of $6,000 for 5,000 students. The money can go toward tuition, transportation, supplies or technology at either private schools or public schools outside a student’s district.
Over three years, the current program expands to a $120,000 family income cap and a limit of 15,000 students.
The House-passed proposal opens the program to all students and sets the amount given to parents to rise along with spending per public school student.
The program needs to be expanded as soon as possible so more parents can access the help, House Education and Public Works Committee Chairwoman Shannon Erickson said. She was the only Republican to speak in favor of the bill and only for a few minutes.
“I’m an all-of-the-above education advocate,” said Erickson, a Republican from Beaufort. “We can support our public school and our public school teachers, and we can support the needs of children and our families — and we can do it well.”
Earlier this month, the South Carolina Supreme Court heard arguments about whether the 2023 law violates part of the state constitution banning direct aid to anything other than public schools. Proponents of the law argued the money goes to a trust fund that gets tapped by parents, so it isn’t direct aid.
This year’s House bill expands aid to home-schools. It also eliminates state audits for private schools getting the money and does not require them to give their students the same standardized tests as public school students.
Democrats suggested several changes to the bill like keeping the amount the Education Department can collect to pay a private firm to run the program at 2% instead of an increase to 5% or requiring private schools certify they didn’t raise prices for voucher students. All their amendments were rejected.
“The pilot program was supposed to be the test. But the test has not been given,” said Democratic Rep. Kambrell Garvin of Blythewood. Garvin taught for about three years.
Allowing parents to spend public money on private schools has been a two-decade effort that ran through three governors, four House speakers and five education superintendents in a state where Republicans have been consolidating and expanding their power.
The law is part of a nationwide movement. Groups that study the programs report that as many as 16 states have some form of the vouchers. Georgia’s Senate passed a $6,500-per-student voucher bill Wednesday and sent the proposal to the governor.
veryGood! (489)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Surfer Bethany Hamilton Makes Masked Singer Debut After 3-Year-Old Nephew’s Tragic Death
- Federal judge denies request to block measure revoking Arkansas casino license
- 1 million migrants in the US rely on temporary protections that Trump could target
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Louisiana asks court to block part of ruling against Ten Commandments in classrooms
- Review: 'Emilia Pérez' is the most wildly original film you'll see in 2024
- Old Navy's Early Black Friday Deals Start at $1.97 -- Get Holiday-Ready Sweaters, Skirts, Puffers & More
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- ‘Emilia Pérez’ wouldn’t work without Karla Sofía Gascón. Now, she could make trans history
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- When does Spirit Christmas open? What to know about Spirit Halloween’s new holiday venture
- Hurricane forecasters on alert: November storm could head for Florida
- Catholic bishops urged to boldly share church teachings — even unpopular ones
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- When does Spirit Christmas open? What to know about Spirit Halloween’s new holiday venture
- Prosecutor failed to show that Musk’s $1M-a-day sweepstakes was an illegal lottery, judge says
- GreenBox Systems will spend $144 million to build an automated warehouse in Georgia
Recommendation
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Kim Kardashian Says She's Raising Her and Kanye West's 4 Kids By Herself
Maine elections chief who drew Trump’s ire narrates House tabulations in livestream
Infowars auction could determine whether Alex Jones is kicked off its platforms
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Volunteer firefighter accused of setting brush fire on Long Island
Nicky Hilton Shares Her Christmas Plans With Paris, the Secret To Perfect Skin & More Holiday Gift Picks
'Full House' star Dave Coulier diagnosed with stage 3 cancer