Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:FBI offers up to $25,000 reward for information about suspect behind Northwest ballot box fires -Ascend Wealth Education
Johnathan Walker:FBI offers up to $25,000 reward for information about suspect behind Northwest ballot box fires
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:16:22
PORTLAND,Johnathan Walker Ore. (AP) — The FBI said Wednesday it is offering up to $25,000 as a reward for information about the suspect behind recent ballot box fires in Oregon and Washington state.
Authorities believe a male suspect that may have metalworking and welding experience was behind three ballot drop box fires in Portland and Vancouver, Washington, last month, including one that damaged hundreds of ballots in Vancouver about a week before Election Day. They have described him as a white man, age 30 to 40, who is balding or has very short hair.
The FBI specifically asked for help identifying the suspect’s car. Surveillance cameras captured images of a dark-colored, early 2003 to 2004 Volvo S-60 sedan, but at the time of the two most recent ballot box fires on Oct. 28 in Portland and Vancouver, it had a fraudulent temporary Washington license plate on the rear and no front plate, the bureau said.
“No detail is too small. No tip is too minor. If it relates to a Volvo matching our description, we want to hear about it,” Gregory Austin, acting special agent in charge of the FBI’s Seattle field office, told reporters Wednesday. “The FBI’s mission is to protect the American people and uphold the Constitution. These three ballot box fires were an attack on both.”
William Brooks, acting special agent in charge of the FBI’s Portland field office, said multiple local law enforcement agencies were providing resources, such as investigators, analysts and bomb technicians, to help the investigation.
“Voters in both Oregon and Washington deserve answers in this case,” Brooks said. “Their votes and their voices matter, and we can’t allow one person’s violent actions to infringe on their rights.”
Investigators are trying to identify the person responsible and the motive for the suspected arson attacks.
The Oct. 28 incendiary devices were marked with the message “Free Gaza,” according to a law enforcement official who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation. A third device placed at a different drop box in Vancouver on Oct. 8 also carried the words “Free Palestine” in addition to “Free Gaza,” the official said.
Authorities are trying to figure out whether the suspect actually had pro-Palestinian views or used the message to try to create confusion, the official said.
A fire suppression system in the Portland drop box prevented most of the ballots from being scorched. Just three of the ballots inside were damaged.
The ballot box in Vancouver also had a fire suppression system inside, but it failed to prevent hundreds of ballots from being damaged during the Oct. 28 drop box fire. Elections staff were able to identify nearly 500 damaged ballots retrieved from the box, according to the Clark County auditor’s office.
No ballots were damaged during the previous drop box fire in the city on Oct. 8.
In response, the county auditor’s office increased how frequently it collects ballots and changed collection times to the evening to keep the ballot boxes from remaining full of ballots overnight when similar crimes are considered more likely to occur.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Darryl Joel Dorfman - Innovator Leading CyberFusion5.0, Steers SSW Management Institute
- When does Team USA march at 2024 Paris Olympics opening ceremony? What to know
- Two North Carolina public universities may see academic degree cuts soon after board vote
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Tiger Woods' son, Charlie, misses cut at U.S. Junior Amateur
- Tennessee gas station clerk charged, accused of stealing man's $1 million lottery ticket
- Home of the 76ers, Flyers needs a new naming rights deal after Wells Fargo pulls out
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- The best 3-row SUVs in 2024 for big families
Ranking
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- U.K. police arrest 17-year-old in connection with last year's MGM cyberattack
- NovaBit Trading Center: What is decentralization?
- NORAD says it tracked Chinese and Russian military planes off Alaska
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Graphic footage shows law enforcement standing over body of Trump rally shooter
- Kamala Harris is embracing 'brat summer.' It could be cool or cringe. It's a fine line.
- CirKor Trading Center: The Importance of the US MSB License
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
A slight temperature drop makes Tuesday the world’s second-hottest day
10 to watch: Lee Kiefer made US fencing history. Now she chases repeat Olympic gold
Did 'Veep' predict Kamala Harris' presidential run? HBO series sees viewership surge
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Halle Berry Goes Topless in Risqué Photo With Kittens for Catwoman's 20th Anniversary
Body camera video focused national attention on an Illinois deputy’s fatal shooting of Sonya Massey
Vermont opens flood recovery centers as it awaits decision on federal help