Current:Home > MyUS troops targeted again in Iraq after retribution airstrikes -Ascend Wealth Education
US troops targeted again in Iraq after retribution airstrikes
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 01:44:16
Fewer than 12 hours after U.S. airstrikes hit two facilities in Syria used by Iran and its proxies to launch attacks on American troops in the region, a one-way suicide drone targeted U.S. forces in western Iraq, according to U.S. officials.
The drone got within a few kilometers of U.S. forces at Al-Assad Air Base, Iraq, at approximately 7 a.m. ET on Friday morning. The troops fired upon the unmanned vehicle and "successfully shot it down without further incident," according to a U.S. official.
The attack was likely launched by Iran-backed militants, the official said.
MORE: US strikes back at Iranian-backed groups that attacked troops in Iraq, Syria: Pentagon
White House spokesperson John Kirby told ABC's "Good Morning America" Friday morning that more Iran-sponsored attacks might follow the U.S. F-16 precision airstrikes that officials say took out a weapon storage area and an ammunition cache.
"It's not uncommon for them to strike back. If they do, we'll absolutely do what we have to do to protect our troops and our facilities. We'll be ready for that," Kirby said.
President Joe Biden said on Wednesday that the U.S. hasn't ruled out retaliatory operations in response to American forces being attacked by Iran-backed militants, according to the Pentagon.
"My warning to the ayatollah [is] that if they continue to move against those troops, we will respond, and he should be prepared," Biden told reporters, referring to Iran's supreme leader.
Iran-backed groups have now launched 20 attacks on U.S. service members in the last 10 days, injuring at least 21 of them, with many reporting symptoms of traumatic brain injury, according to the Pentagon.
So far, the U.S. has not launched any counter strike in response to the latest drone attack.
"The latest attack at al-Asad needs to be responded to with force, force capable of changing their calculus about attacking our people in the future," said ABC News contributor Mick Mulroy, former deputy assistant secretary of defense for the Middle East.
A senior U.S. defense official told reporters in July that militias and their Iranian handlers were continuing to move weaponry in and practice for drone and rocket attacks against U.S. forces, saying, "It's a not a question of 'if.' It's a question of when those would happen again."
veryGood! (82687)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Kathy Griffin shocks her husband with lip tattoo results: 'It's a little swollen'
- AI is biased. The White House is working with hackers to try to fix that
- Former Alabama deputy gets 12 years for assaulting woman stopped for broken tag light
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Bad Bunny Spotted Wearing K Necklace Amid Kendall Jenner Romance
- Final round of 2023 Tour Championship resumes after play suspended due to weather
- Here's Your Invite to Olivia Culpo and Christian McCaffrey's Wedding Date Details
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- UAW says authorization for strike against Detroit 3 overwhelmingly approved: What's next
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Kim Kardashian Debuts New Look as She and Kris Jenner Hang Out With Meghan Markle's Mom
- Inter Miami vs. New York Red Bulls recap: Messi scores electric goal in 2-0 victory
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly rise after Fed chief speech
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Heineken sells its Russia operations for 1 euro
- Kim Kardashian Debuts New Look as She and Kris Jenner Hang Out With Meghan Markle's Mom
- Jacksonville killings refocus attention on the city’s racist past and the struggle to move on
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Ten-hut Time Machine? West Point to open time capsule possibly left by cadets in the 1820s
On the March on Washington's 60th anniversary, watch how CBS News covered the Civil Rights protest in 1963
MLK Jr.'s daughter reflects on her father’s ‘I have a dream’ speech: 5 Things podcast
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
An evacuation order finds few followers in northeast Ukraine despite Russia’s push to retake region
Final round of 2023 Tour Championship resumes after play suspended due to weather
The 4 biggest moments from this week's BRICS summit — and why they matter