Current:Home > InvestLouisiana Supreme Court reopens window for lawsuits by adult victims of childhood sex abuse -Ascend Wealth Education
Louisiana Supreme Court reopens window for lawsuits by adult victims of childhood sex abuse
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:14:42
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Officially reversing a controversial March ruling, Louisiana’s highest court Wednesday gave childhood victims of sexual abuse a renewed opportunity to file damage lawsuits.
The state Supreme Court’s 5-2 ruling Wednesday upholds a so-called look-back law that was passed in 2021 and amended in 2022. The law gave victims of past abuse, whose deadlines for filing civil lawsuits had expired, renewed opportunities to file lawsuits. The original legislation set a deadline of June 14 of this year. That deadline was later extended until June 2027.
Wednesday’s move had been expected. The court had ruled 4-3 in March that the law couldn’t stand because it conflicted with due process rights in the state constitution. But the court agreed last month to reconsider the case.
Justices Scott Crichton and Piper Griffin, part of the majority in March, joined justices joined Chief Justice John Weimer and justices Jay McCallum and William Crain to revive the law.
“For many victims of child sexual abuse, the revival provision represents their first and only opportunity to bring suit,” Weimer wrote in the new ruling. “Providing that opportunity to those victims is a legitimate legislative purpose.”
Justices James Genovese and Jefferson Hughes dissented. Genovese wrote that the new ruling “obliterates” decades of precedent and “elevates a legislative act over a constitutional right.”
The ruling comes as the Catholic Church continues to deal with the ramifications of a decades-old sex scandal. The ruling arose from a case filed against the Catholic Diocese of Lafayette by plaintiffs who said they were molested by a priest in the 1970s while they ranged in age from 8 to 14, according to the Supreme Court record.
Louisiana Attorney General Liz Murrill hailed the court’s reversal, as did advocates for abuse victims.
“We are elated that victims of sexual abuse who have been time barred from justice will have their day in court,” Mike McDonnell, of the advocacy group Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said in an emailed statement.
veryGood! (71)
Related
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- USC president makes her first remarks over recent campus controversies on Israel-Hamas war
- NFL draft grades: Every pick from 2024 second and third round
- How to design a volunteering program in your workplace
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Jayden Daniels says pre-draft Topgolf outing with Washington Commanders 'was awesome'
- Attorneys for American imprisoned by Taliban file urgent petitions with U.N.
- MLB Mexico City series: What to know for Astros vs. Rockies at Alfredo Harp Helú Stadium, TV info
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 20 Cambodian soldiers killed in ammunition explosion at a military base
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Washington mom charged with murder, accused of stabbing son repeatedly pleads not guilty
- 2024 American Music Awards to air on CBS
- Eagles draft Jeremiah Trotter Jr., son of Philadelphia's Pro Bowl linebacker
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Family Photos With Son Rocky
- The 43 Most Popular Amazon Items E! Readers Bought This Month: Trending Fashion, Beauty & More
- Clean up begins after tornadoes hammer parts of Iowa and Nebraska; further storms expected Saturday
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
New York Islanders, Tampa Bay Lightning win Game 4 to avoid sweeps
Former Michigan basketball coach Juwan Howard hired as Brooklyn Nets assistant, per report
20 Cambodian soldiers killed in ammunition explosion at a military base
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Champions League-chasing Aston Villa squanders two-goal lead in draw with Chelsea
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs files motion to dismiss some claims in a sexual assault lawsuit
Retired pro wrestler, failed congressional candidate indicted in Vegas murder case