Current:Home > ScamsFootball player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation -Ascend Wealth Education
Football player Matt Araiza dropped from woman’s rape lawsuit and won’t sue for defamation
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 02:04:36
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Former Buffalo Bills punter Matt Araiza is being dropped from a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleged she was raped by San Diego State University football players in 2021, it was announced Tuesday.
The woman agreed to dismiss Araiza from the lawsuit she filed last year while Araiza agreed to dismiss his defamation countersuit against her, and no money will be exchanged, attorneys for both sides told various media outlets.
“Thankfully, there was extensive evidence that was key to securing Matt’s voluntary dismissal from this lawsuit,” said a statement from Araiza’s attorneys cited by ESPN. “Matt was and has always been innocent. The case is over, and Matt has prevailed.”
Araiza intends to return to the NFL, his lawyers said.
The defamation lawsuit against the woman, described in court documents only as Jane Doe, was “legally baseless,” but her first legal bill topped $20,000 and she “simply cannot afford to defend herself,” her attorney, Dan Gilleon, said in a statement reported by the San Diego Union-Tribune.
“Plus she has been beat down by Araiza’s PR campaign and is frankly over it,” he said in a text, the news outlet reported.
The lawsuit against four other former Aztec players will continue.
Emails from The Associated Press seeking comment from Gilleon and Araiza’s lawyers, Dick Semerdjian and Kristen Bush, weren’t immediately answered Tuesday night.
Araiza was nicknamed the “Punt God” and honored as a consensus All-American in 2021 for his booming kicks that helped SDSU to a school-best 12-2 season in his senior year. He was selected by the Bills in the sixth round of the 2022 NFL draft but released two days after the filing of the lawsuit.
The woman alleged that she was 17 and attending an off-campus party in October 2021 when Araiza, then 21, had sex with her in a side yard at an off-campus house before bringing her into a bedroom where a group of men took turns raping her. She reported the alleged assault to San Diego police the next day.
Araiza has said he stayed in the backyard and never entered the home during the party and that he left nearly a half-hour before the alleged raping occurred.
He and most of the other players the woman is suing have said their encounters with her were consensual.
After a monthlong police investigation, the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office announced in December that it would not file criminal charges. Several media outlets obtained an audio recording of a meeting between prosecutors and the woman in which deputy District Attorney Trisha Amador said she concluded, based on a witness statement, that Araiza “wasn’t even at the party anymore” when the alleged raping could have occurred and wasn’t visible in videos that were recovered.
Earlier this year, the New York Jets hosted Araiza for a workout at the team’s facility, six days after a San Diego State investigation found no wrongdoing by him in connection with the alleged rape.
veryGood! (52392)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Copa America ticket refunds: Fans denied entry to final may get money back
- How Max Meisel Is Changing the Comedy Game
- Political divisions stall proposed gun policies in Pennsylvania, where assassin took aim at Trump
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- John Williams composed Olympic gold before 1984 LA Olympics
- Highlights from the 2024 Republican National Convention
- Plastics Pollution Has Become a ‘Crisis,’ Biden Administration Acknowledges
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Federal appeals court dismisses suit challenging Tennessee drag restrictions law
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Churchill Downs lifts suspension of trainer Bob Baffert following Medina Spirit’s failed drug test
- 'Hello Kitty is not a cat': Fans in denial after creators reveal she's 'a little girl'
- Lawsuit filed over Alabama law that blocks more people with felony convictions from voting
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Mississippi’s new Episcopal bishop is first woman and first Black person in that role
- Blinken points to wider pledges to support Ukraine in case US backs away under Trump
- Bissell recalls over 3 million Steam Shot steam cleaners after 157 burn injuries reported
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Superstorm Sandy group eyes ballots, insurance surcharges and oil fees to fund resiliency projects
Migrant children were put in abusive shelters for years, suit says. Critics blame lack of oversight
Two-time Pro Bowl safety Eddie Jackson agrees to one-year deal with Ravens
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Some convictions overturned in terrorism case against Muslim scholar from Virginia
6 people, including a boy, shot dead in Mexico as mass killings of families persist
Sundance Film Festival narrows down host cities — from Louisville to Santa Fe — for future years