Current:Home > ScamsArkansas governor proposes $6.3B budget as lawmakers prepare for session -Ascend Wealth Education
Arkansas governor proposes $6.3B budget as lawmakers prepare for session
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 02:48:54
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Wednesday proposed a $6.3 billion budget for the coming year, with most of the increase in spending going toward a school voucher program.
Sanders’ budget proposal for the fiscal year that begins July 1 increases state spending by 1.76% over the previous year, with nearly all of the $109 million increase going toward education. Sanders, a Republican who took office in January 2023, touted the proposed budget’s increase as being below the 3% the state has seen in recent years.
“I am proud that this year’s budget puts an end to government’s spiraling growth, while still fulfilling the priorities Arkansans elected me to implement,” Sanders said in a letter to lawmakers, who kicked off budget hearings ahead of a legislative session set to begin next month.
About $100 million of the increase is related to a education overhaul Sanders signed last year that included a raise in minimum pay for teachers. More than $65 million of the increase will go toward a school voucher program that is being phased in through the new law.
Democrats said they were worried about how much of the increase is going toward the voucher program and other parts of the overhaul while the rest of the budget remained flat.
“I’m concerned about what LEARNS might mean for the budget in the years to come,” Senate Minority Leader Greg Leding said, referring to the overhaul. “But also in the effort to keep spending as low as possible, basically all of the increases we are seeing this year are going toward LEARNS.”
Sanders’ budget proposal did not mention any additional income tax cuts. The governor has signed into law two individual and corporate income tax cuts since taking office and has said she wants to push for more.
Rep. Lane Jean, a Republican who co-chairs the Joint Budget Committee, said he didn’t expect additional cuts to come up during the session.
“I think what we have decided is we would get out of this fiscal session and let’s monitor the year until we get into the next fiscal year,” Jean said. “Maybe if we’re still running a fairly healthy surplus, maybe come back in a special session later on.”
Finance officials are projecting the state will end this fiscal year with a $240 million surplus and $376 million the following year. Sanders’ office did not say whether she plans on seeking additional cuts in the coming session.
“The Governor is proud to have cut income taxes not once, but twice, over the last year,” spokeswoman Alexa Henning said. “She will continue to work with the legislature to look for every opportunity to responsibly phase out the state income tax.”
Sanders on Wednesday also proposed a one-time 3% increase in state employee pay, part of a temporary plan that would also raise every state employees’ pay to at least $15 an hour by July 1. In a letter to state employees, Sanders said she also plans to seek a more comprehensive overhaul of the state employee pay plan in the 2025 legislative session.
The temporary plan is projected to cost the state $42.4 million total, with $19.3 million coming from general revenue, Alex Johnston, chief of staff for the Department of Transformation and Shared Services said.
veryGood! (4674)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- CES highlighted the hottest gadgets and tools, often fueled by AI
- Mike McCarthy will return as coach of the Dallas Cowboys after stunning wild-card loss
- Who hosted the 2024 Emmy Awards? All about Anthony Anderson
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Accused of kidnapping hoax, how Denise Huskins, Aaron Quinn survived ‘American Nightmare’
- BMW among CES 'Worst of' list that highlights security concerns and privacy problems
- Man accused of using golf club to fatally impale Minnesota store clerk ruled incompetent for trial
- Sam Taylor
- Two TCU women's basketball games canceled for 'health and safety' of players
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Who is James Dolan? Knicks, Rangers owner sued for sexual assault, trafficking
- Gisele Bündchen Reveals She's Getting Pushback From Her and Tom Brady's Kids Amid Divorce Adjustment
- CES highlighted the hottest gadgets and tools, often fueled by AI
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Houthis continue attacks in Red Sea even after series of U.S. military strikes
- Plan for $400 million monkey-breeding facility in southwest Georgia draws protest
- Why is the Guatemala attorney general going after the new president?
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Florida GOP lawmakers seek to ban rainbow flags in schools, saying they’re bad for students
Pharrell Williams reveals Western Louis Vuitton collection at Milan Fashion Week: See the photos
Quaker Oats recall list: See the dozens of products being recalled for salmonella concerns
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
2024 NFL draft order: Top 24 first-round selections set after wild-card playoffs
UN: Palestinians are dying in hospitals as estimated 60,000 wounded overwhelm remaining doctors
US Justice Department to release long-awaited findings on Uvalde mass shooting Thursday