Current:Home > NewsNATO member Romania finds more suspected drone fragments near its border with Ukraine -Ascend Wealth Education
NATO member Romania finds more suspected drone fragments near its border with Ukraine
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:16:14
BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — NATO member Romania found what appear to be new drone fragments near its border with war-torn Ukraine on Wednesday, in the third such finding in the past week, the Ministry of National Defense said.
Two helicopters from the Romanian Air Force were deployed with specialist teams to Nufaru and Victoria in the eastern Tulcea county where “fragments that could have come from a drone” are spread over an area of “several tens of meters,” the ministry said in a statement.
It said in a separate statement that it has notified the General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations about areas near the border that could be at risk of incidents as Russian forces attack Ukraine’s Danube River ports across the river from Romania.
Emergency authorities have received phone calls “about possible cases of drone impacts” between three localities, including Nufaru, the ministry said. An investigation will be carried out after samples are collected and examined by experts, it said.
Wednesday’s findings are the third such discovery on Romanian soil since last Thursday. They come during sustained attacks by Russian forces on Ukraine’s Danube ports as Moscow aims to disrupt Ukraine’s ability to export grain to world markets.
While it’s unclear whether Romania has determined where or when the drones were launched, Romanian President Klaus Iohannis said of drone fragment findings on Saturday that they were “similar to those used by the Russian army.”
Iohannis said it indicated there has been “an absolutely unacceptable violation of the sovereign airspace of Romania, a NATO ally, with real risks to the security of Romanian citizens in the area.”
Asked about the previous drone fragment findings, Romanian Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu said on Wednesday that “No one attacked us and no one is attacking us.”
“Some remains jumped from a drone that was hit by the Ukrainian army. It didn’t have explosives, it didn’t have anything that could harm the citizens,” he said.
Last week, Romania’s National Committee for Emergency Situations approved measures allowing authorities to issue localized text message alerts or sound alarms to warn inhabitants “adjacent to the conflict areas” in Ukraine of incidents or potential incidents.
In the Danube localities of Plauru, Ceatalchioi and some other areas, Romania’s defense ministry will construct “protective spaces” for residents.
___
McGrath reported from Sighisoara, Romania.
veryGood! (3867)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Taylor Swift tickets to Eras Tour in Australia are among cheapest one can find. Here's why.
- 5 patients die after oxygen cut off in Gaza hospital seized by Israeli forces, health officials say
- Body of deceased woman, 30 human cremains found at house after ex-funeral home owner evicted
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Pennsylvania high court takes up challenge to the state’s life-without-parole sentences
- Iowa's Caitlin Clark breaks NCAA women's basketball scoring record
- Brian Wilson's family speaks out on conservatorship filing amid 'major neurocognitive disorder'
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Legendary choreographer Fatima Robinson on moving through changes in dance
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Taylor Swift plays biggest Eras Tour show yet, much bigger than the Super Bowl
- Pregnant Giannina Gibelli and Bachelor Nation's Blake Horstmann Reveal Sex of Baby
- Auto workers threaten to strike again at Ford’s huge Kentucky truck plant in local contract dispute
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- What are the best women's college basketball games on TV this weekend?
- Taylor Swift announces new bonus track for 'Tortured Poets Department': How to hear it
- Prince Harry, Duchess Meghan hit the slopes in Canada to scope out new Invictus Games site: See photos
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
When Harry Met Sally Almost Had a Completely Different Ending
Man convicted in 2022 shooting of Indianapolis police officer that wounded officer in the throat
Maine gunman says reservists were worried he was going to do something because ‘I am capable’
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
New York appeals court hears arguments over the fate of the state’s ethics panel
The Census Bureau is thinking about how to ask about sex. People have their opinions
Amy Schumer calls out trolls, says she 'owes no explanation' for her 'puffier' face