Current:Home > Stocks6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating -Ascend Wealth Education
6-year-old Virginia student brings loaded gun to school, sheriff's office investigating
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:58:21
A 6-year-old Virginia student took a gun to school Monday and investigators are trying to figure out how the child got ahold of the weapon, according to authorities.
The incident happened at Orange Elementary School, about 29 miles northeast of Charlottesville, the Orange County Sheriff's Office shared on Facebook Monday afternoon.
A school staff member contacted an Orange County Sheriff’s Office School Resource Officer at 12:50 p.m. that day about a loaded firearm found inside the school. The school was then placed in safe school mode, the sheriff’s office shared online.
The sheriff’s office said the firearm was found inside a backpack, so the school resource officer and a school administrator took the backpack.
Investigators announced later that afternoon that the 6-year-old student brought the firearm to school, where an instructional assistant found the gun.
No one was hurt, and no threats were made, the sheriff’s office said.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating but said no arrests have been made so far.
“The safety and security of our students and school staff remain our top priority,” the sheriff’s office said. “Out of an abundance of caution we will have additional law enforcement at the school for the remainder of today and tomorrow.”
School shooting investigation:911 calls from Georgia school shooting released
Superintendent says situation was handled in a ‘swift, professional’ manner
Superintendent of Orange County Public Schools Dan Hornick released a statement to community members online, calling the ordeal “distressing.”
“It is important to recognize and appreciate the swift, professional, and thorough steps taken by the staff members and administrators at Orange Elementary School,” Hornick wrote in his statement. “Their diligence prevented the situation from escalating.”
He also thanked the sheriff’s office for working with the school.
Later in his statement, Hornick said he wanted to note how the school system could grow in situations like this. According to the superintendent, the school went into Safe School Mode, where classrooms are secured, and law enforcement and school administrators investigate.
The goal during Safe School Mode and other school status changes is to let parents and guardians know what’s going on as soon as possible, Hornick said.
“Unfortunately, this type of notification was not sent to the OES community today,” he said, adding that he wanted to apologize for the “error.”
Similar situations have arisen throughout the country this past year, including a Sept. 4 shooting in Georgia where a student killed four at Apalachee High School.
Hornick, the superintendent of Orange County Public Schools, asked that “in light of recent events across our country … all parents and guardians exercise even greater diligence in ensuring that students do not bring weapons or other dangerous items to school.”
He added that he has two children attending schools in Orange County and said he plans to check his own children’s bags more frequently and talk to them more about school safety.
“By working together, we can provide the safe and dynamic learning environment our students deserve,” he said. “Thank you for your continued support, even under difficult circumstances.”
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (75)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Despite Climate Concerns, Young Voter Turnout Slumped and Its Support Split Between the Parties
- Brother of Buffalo’s acting mayor dies in fall from tree stand while hunting
- 2025 Grammy nominations live updates: Beyoncé leads the way
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Hungary’s Orbán predicts Trump’s administration will end US support for Ukraine
- The US election was largely trouble-free, but a flood of misinformation raises future concerns
- Georgia Senate Republicans keep John Kennedy as leader for next 2 years
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- 3 dead, including the suspect, after shooting in Pennsylvania apartment and 40-mile police chase
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- PETA raises tips reward to $16,000 for man who dragged 2 dogs behind his car in Georgia
- Liam Payne's Toxicology Test Results Revealed After His Death
- Sea turtle nests increased along a Florida beach but hurricanes washed many away
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Does Florida keeping Billy Napier signal how college football will handle coaching changes?
- Massive corruption scandal in Jackson, Miss.: Mayor, DA, councilman all indicted
- Where things stand with college football conference championship game tiebreakers
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Don Johnson Reveals Daughter Dakota Johnson's Penis Drawing Prank
Brianna Chickenfry LaPaglia Says Ex Zach Bryan Offered Her $12 Million NDA After Their Breakup
Martha Stewart’s Ex-Husband Andy Stewart Calls Out Her Claims in Sensationalized Documentary
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Judge strikes down Biden administration program shielding immigrant spouses from deportation
Study: Weather extremes are influencing illegal migration and return between the U.S. and Mexico
MLB in for 'a different winter'? Hot stove heats up with top free agents, trade targets