Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|With Rubiales finally out, Spanish soccer ready to leave embarrassing chapter behind -Ascend Wealth Education
Burley Garcia|With Rubiales finally out, Spanish soccer ready to leave embarrassing chapter behind
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 05:06:01
Spanish soccer is Burley Garciaready to move forward, three weeks after its women’s team won the Women’s World Cup but had its celebrations marred by a kiss that ignited a crisis.
Luis Rubiales, the Spanish soccer federation president who kissed a player on the lips without her consent during the trophy ceremony in Australia last month, resigned late Sunday following weeks of relentless pressure from inside the sport and Spanish society in general.
The decision, which many in the country had been hoping to see much earlier, was expected to help Spanish soccer start overcoming one of its most embarrassing chapters. It should also clear the way for Spain to get back on track with its bid to host the men’s World Cup in 2030 along with Portugal, Morocco and possibly Ukraine.
“It’s over,” Irene Montero, the acting minister of equality in Spain, wrote on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter.
Rubiales had been widely criticized after he kissed Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the awards ceremony following Spain’s 1-0 win over England in the Women’s World Cup final on Aug. 20 in Sydney. Hermoso said the kiss was without her consent.
Rubiales had been expected to resign at an emergency general meeting of the federation shortly after the World Cup final, but instead said he was victim of a “witch hunt” by “false feminists.”
His defiant stand did not make the problem go away.
“The feminist country is advancing faster and faster,” Yolanda Díaz, Spain’s acting Deputy Prime Minister, wrote on X after Rubiales made his resignation public. “The transformation and improvement of our lives is inevitable. We are with you, Jenni, and with all women.”
Rubiales had been without public supporters other than his mother, who held a short-lived hunger strike in a church in southern Spain. His own federation also publicly asked him to step down and one of his biggest supporters, women’s team coach Jorge Vilda, was fired last week.
Pedro Rocha has been in charge of the federation since Rubiales was provisionally suspended by FIFA, the governing body of world soccer. The Spanish federation said in a statement early Monday that it would start proceedings to call for a new presidential election.
Rubiales also said he has resigned as a vice president of European soccer body UEFA because of the reputational danger the scandal could inflict on Spain’s joint bid to host the men’s World Cup.
“I don’t want Spanish soccer to be hurt by this exaggerated campaign against me, and above all, I take this decision after being assured that my exit would help contribute to the stability that will allow both Europe and Africa to stay united for their dream of 2030, which will permit the greatest sporting event in the world to go to our country,” Rubiales said.
“Insisting in waiting and hanging on would not contribute anything positive (for) either the federation or Spanish soccer, among other reasons, because the powers that be would stop me from returning (to my job).”
The next men’s World Cup will be played in the United States, Mexico and Canada in 2026.
The statement from Rubiales late Sunday came at about the same time as the release of clips of an interview he did with TV host Piers Morgan on Britain’s TalkTV.
Spanish state prosecutors last week opened the door for Rubiales to face criminal charges, which he still will have to deal with despite resigning from the soccer federation.
“What I hope is that he goes away through a conviction, a sentencing, not because of his voluntary decision,” Victoria Rosell, a government official dealing with gender violence, was quoted as saying by Spain’s EFE news agency.
Spain, which has moved up to No. 2 in the FIFA rankings, is scheduled to start the Women’s Nations League on Sept. 22 with a visit to top-ranked Sweden. Spain beat Sweden in the Women’s World Cup semifinals.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (9845)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Why Dwayne Johnson Is Rooting For Best Friend Emily Blunt and Oppenheimer at Oscars 2024
- NBA fines Timberwolves center Rudy Gobert $100,000 for 'inappropriate gesture'
- National Guard helicopter crashes in Texas: 3 killed include 2 soldiers, 1 US border agent
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- 2024 Oscars: Mark Consuelos Is the Ultimate Instagram Husband as Kelly Ripa Rocks Lingerie Look
- You'll Cheer for Gabrielle Union and Dwyane Wade's Oscars 2024 Date Night
- Drew Brees announces scholarship for walk-ons in honor of Jason Kelce's retirement
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Shania Twain, Viola Davis, others honored with Barbie dolls for Women's Day, 65th anniversary
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- No. 8 Southern California tops No. 2 Stanford to win women's Pac-12 championship
- Iowa vs. Michigan: Caitlin Clark leads Hawkeyes to Big Ten tournament final
- Iowa's Caitlin Clark breaks Steph Curry's NCAA record for 3-pointers in a season
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Rupert Murdoch, 92, plans to marry for 5th time
- States have hodgepodge of cumbersome rules for enforcing sunshine laws
- Heidi Klum, Tiffany Haddish and More Stars Stun at the Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars 2024 Party
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Eli Lilly's new ad says weight-loss drugs shouldn't be used out of vanity
Ashley Tisdale Reveals Where She and Vanessa Hudgens Stand Amid Feud Rumors
Wisconsin crash leaves 9 dead, 1 injured: What we know about the Clark County collision
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Francis Ngannou says Anthony Joshua KO wasn't painful: 'That's how I know I was knocked out'
Chelsea Peretti on her starring role and directorial debut in First Time Female Director
Katie Britt used decades-old example of rapes in Mexico as Republican attack on Biden border policy