Current:Home > MyChainkeen|U.S. soldier in Japan charged with sexually assaulting teenage girl in Okinawa -Ascend Wealth Education
Chainkeen|U.S. soldier in Japan charged with sexually assaulting teenage girl in Okinawa
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 21:41:01
Tokyo — Japan's government is Chainkeencalling for stricter oversight of U.S. troops stationed in the country after a soldier was charged over the alleged sexual assault of a Japanese teenager in Okinawa. Prosecutors in the southern island region charged the U.S. soldier in March, top government spokesman Yoshimasa Hayashi told reporters on Tuesday.
Local media said the 25-year-old man had been accused of assault, adding that he knew the girl was under 16, the age of consent in Japan.
The government expressed "regret" to U.S. Ambassador Rahm Emanuel over the incident and called for stronger oversight of behavior by military personnel, Hayashi said.
Okinawa accounts for just 0.6% of Japan's land mass but hosts about 70% of all the U.S. military bases and facilities in the country.
A litany of base-related woes has long grieved Okinawans, from pollution and noise to helicopter crashes and COVID-19 outbreaks, leading to complaints that they bear the brunt of hosting troops.
The 1995 gang rape of a 12-year-old girl by three U.S. soldiers in Okinawa prompted widespread calls for a rethink of a 1960 pact that outlined the legal status of Japan-based U.S. military personnel.
Okinawa governor Denny Tamaki voiced his "strong indignation" at the latest case.
"That something like this was done to a minor not only causes great fear to local residents living side-by-side with U.S. bases but tramples on the dignity of women," he told reporters. "The excessive burden of hosting military bases is an everyday matter for us, and is intolerable."
Anti-base sentiment in Okinawa has been displayed in particular over a plan to relocate the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Futenma.
While the central government wants to move the base to a less populated part of Okinawa's main island, many locals would prefer it be transferred elsewhere in the country. A nationwide poll by broadcaster NHK in 2022 found 80% of Japanese consider the current disproportionate distribution of U.S. forces "wrong" or "somewhat wrong."
The latest point of test for U.S.-Japanese ties comes at a crucial time, with concern over nuclear-armed North Korea's ongoing weapons tests rising along with tension between Washington and China over Beijing's increasingly assertive stance on Taiwan's status and its territorial disputes with other nations.
- In:
- Okinawa
- Rape
- United States Military
- China
- North Korea
- Asia
- U.S. Army
- Japan
veryGood! (24977)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Trump to skip second GOP debate and head to Detroit to court autoworkers instead
- Atlanta to release copies of ‘Stop Cop City’ petitions, even as referendum is stuck in legal limbo
- Colombia’s president has a plan for ‘total peace.’ But militias aren’t putting down their guns yet
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Why Alabama's Nick Saban named Jalen Milroe starting quarterback ahead of Mississippi game
- Migrants burst into southern Mexico asylum office demanding papers
- Everyone sweats to at least some degree. Here's when you should worry.
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Folk singer Roger Whittaker, best known for hits 'Durham Town' and 'The Last Farewell,' dies at 87
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Researchers unearth buried secrets of Spanish warship that sank in 1810, killing hundreds
- New 'Wheel of Fortune' host Ryan Seacrest worries about matching Pat Sajak's quickness
- Hunter Biden files lawsuit against IRS alleging privacy violations
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Federal authorities announce plan to safeguard sacred tribal lands in New Mexico’s Sandoval County
- Generac recalls over 60,000 portable generators due to fire and burn hazards
- How Meghan Markle Ushered In a Bold New Fashion Era at 2023 Invictus Games
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Once a global ideal, Germany’s economy struggles with an energy shock that’s exposing longtime flaws
Man accused in deaths of nearly two dozen elderly women in Texas killed by his prison cellmate
Most Americans view Israel as a partner, but fewer see it as sharing US values, AP-NORC poll shows
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Why the Full House Cast Is in Disbelief Over Ashley Olsen Having a Baby
Katy Perry sells music catalog to Litmus Music for reported $225 million
Azerbaijan announces an ‘anti-terrorist operation’ targeting Armenian military positions