Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Paris prosecutors investigating death of actress who accused Gérard Depardieu of sexual misconduct -Ascend Wealth Education
Will Sage Astor-Paris prosecutors investigating death of actress who accused Gérard Depardieu of sexual misconduct
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 04:55:47
PARIS — An investigation was opened following the death last week of a French actress who was among those accusing movie star Gérard Depardieu of sexual misconduct,Will Sage Astor the Paris prosecutor’s office said Thursday.
Actress Emmanuelle Debever published a post on Facebook in 2019 that Depardieu had groped her in 1982 while they were acting together for the film “Danton.”
Debever’s partner told police on Nov. 29 she left their home, leaving a “worrying” written note, the Paris prosecutor’s office said. She later jumped from a Paris bridge into the Seine river, was given emergency care by rescuers and transported to a hospital, the prosecutor’s office said.
She died Dec. 7 at the age of 60, according to press reports.
On the same day, an investigative documentary was aired on national TV channel France 2 about accusations of sexual misconduct against Depardieu, which included footage of him repeatedly making obscene remarks and gestures during a 2018 trip to North Korea.
Depardieu, 74, has been under investigation since December 2020 for rape and sexual assault, reportedly at his Paris home, following allegations from actress Charlotte Arnould in 2018. He has denied any criminal conduct.
Gerard Depardieuaccused of sexual harassment, assault by 13 women in new report
In October, Depardieu published an open letter in the French newspaper Le Figaro that said, “I want to tell you the truth. I have never, ever abused a woman.”
The Paris prosecutor’s office said that, given Debever’s accusations against Depardieu, an investigation into the causes of death has been open — procedure in France when causes of death are unknown or suspicious.
French investigative news website Mediapart earlier this year published information saying that Depardieu has been accused of harassing, groping or sexually assaulting 13 women. Most of the claims reported by the Mediapart website relate to film shoots between 2004 and 2022.
Lawyers for Depardieu, from the law firm Temime, "formally deny all allegations that (could) concern criminal law," Mediapart wrote, and called the allegations a "veritable indictment" to which the actor has no intention of responding.
The France 2 documentary claims the number of accusers now stands at 16.
veryGood! (51831)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- From chess to baseball, technology fuels 'never-ending arms race' in sports cheating
- Geminids meteor shower peaks this week under dark skies
- The Netherlands, South Korea step up strategic partnership including cooperation on semiconductors
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The Supreme Court will hear arguments about mifepristone. What is the drug and how does it work?
- Harry Potter first edition found in bargain bin sells for $69,000 at auction
- Maryland Gov. Wes Moore says Baltimore Orioles lease deal is ‘imminent’
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Fire at a popular open market in Bangkok spews black smoke visible for miles
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Virginia has tentative deal to move Washington’s NBA, NHL teams, Youngkin says
- Draymond Green likely facing another suspension after striking Suns' Jusuf Nurkic
- Doritos releases nacho cheese-flavored liquor that tastes just like the chip
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Comedian Leslie Liao talks creative process, growing up in Orange County as child of immigrant parents
- Students treated after eating gummies from bag with fentanyl residue, sheriff’s office says
- Somalia secures $4.5 billion debt relief deal with international creditors
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Honey Boo Boo's Anna Chickadee Cardwell Honored at Family Funeral After Death at 29
Trump’s lawyers tell an appeals court that federal prosecutors are trying to rush his election case
10 years later, the 'Beyoncé' surprise drop still offers lessons about control
Small twin
Minnie Driver recalls being 'devastated' by Matt Damon breakup at 1998 Oscars
Trump’s lawyers tell an appeals court that federal prosecutors are trying to rush his election case
Judge questions whether legal cases cited by Michael Cohen’s lawyer actually exist