Current:Home > MyNo Labels abandons plans for "unity" ticket in 2024 presidential race -Ascend Wealth Education
No Labels abandons plans for "unity" ticket in 2024 presidential race
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 03:48:02
Washington — No Labels, the centrist political group, is abandoning its effort to draft a third-party "unity" ticket to run in the 2024 presidential race, the organization announced Thursday.
The group, which has worked for months to gain ballot access in states across the country for potential candidates, said it only planned to pursue a ticket "if we could identify candidates with a credible path to winning the White House."
"No such candidates emerged, so the responsible course of action is for us to stand down," No Labels said in a statement.
"Like many Americans, we are concerned that the division and strife gripping the country will reach a critical point after this election regardless of who wins," the statement continued. "Post-election, No Labels will be prepared to champion and defend the values and interests of America's commonsense majority."
Potential candidates previously floated for a No Labels ticket included Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, who is retiring from the Senate, and Larry Hogan, former Republican governor of Maryland. Hogan ultimately decided to run for the U.S. Senate in Maryland.
Mike Rawlings, No Labels' convention chair, told CBS News three weeks ago that the group was moving ahead with its ballot efforts but didn't offer a deadline for announcing a candidate.
"I don't think you should expect it next week," Rawlings said. "It may be in April. It may be — look, we've got to get this done before the spring."
No Labels attracted scorn from Democrats, who feared that a third-party bid could siphon away votes from President Biden and benefit former President Donald Trump. Before nixing its efforts, No Labels said it qualified on the ballot in 21 states, far more than independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Only one state so far has confirmed Kennedy has qualified for the ballot.
Progressives welcomed news of No Labels' plans to stand down.
"If the reports are true, millions of Americans are relieved that No Labels finally decided to do the right thing to keep Donald Trump out of the White House," said Rahna Epting, executive director of the progressive group MoveOn. "Now, it's time for Robert Kennedy Jr. to see the writing on the wall that no third-party has a path forward to winning the presidency. We must come together to defeat the biggest threat to our democracy and country: Donald Trump."
Alisa Wiersema contributed to this report.
Kathryn WatsonKathryn Watson is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- 'MaXXXine' ends trilogy in bloody style. But is it truly done? Spoilers!
- Alcaraz and Sinner both reach Wimbledon quarterfinals and are 1 match away from another meeting
- Stock market today: Asian stocks mostly fall, Euro drop on French election outcome
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- National Urban League honors 4 Black women for their community impact
- NHL No. 1 draft pick Macklin Celebrini signs contract with San Jose Sharks
- Romanian court says social media influencer Andrew Tate can leave country, but must stay in E.U.
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- 10-year veteran Kevin Pillar says he's likely to retire after 2024 MLB season
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Marlon Wayans says he was wrong person to rob after home burglary
- Copa America 2024: Results, highlights as Colombia dominates Panama 5-0
- Kansas' top court rejects 2 anti-abortion laws, bolstering state right to abortion access
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Aaron Judge's personal hitting coach takes shot at Yankees' player development system
- Norwegian cyclist Andre Drege, 25, dies after crashing in race
- 3 men killed in weekend shooting at homeless encampment near Los Angeles, police say
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
NASCAR at Chicago 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Grant Park 165
Biden tells ABC News debate was a bad episode, doesn't agree to independent neurological exam
Texas on alert as Beryl churns closer; landfall as hurricane likely
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Check Out Where All of Your Favorite Olympic Gymnasts Are Now
World No. 1 Iga Swiatek upset by Yulia Putintseva in third round at Wimbledon
Covenant school shooter's writings won't be released publicly, judge rules