Current:Home > InvestSuspect in Detroit synagogue leader's fatal stabbing released without charges -Ascend Wealth Education
Suspect in Detroit synagogue leader's fatal stabbing released without charges
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:39:52
A suspect arrested this week by Detroit police in the killing of synagogue leader Samantha Woll was released without being charged Friday, his attorney told the Detroit Free Press, part of the USA TODAY Network.
The suspect's release signals authorities did not have sufficient evidence to charge him with anything in the case, according to defense lawyers not affiliated with the case.
Police had said initially that the arrest was a positive step forward but cautioned that it should not be interpreted as the end of the investigation into Woll's killing. Many people had worried it could have been motivated by antisemitism relating to the deadly conflict in Israel and Gaza this fall, but police have since said no evidence suggests that motive.
Police arrested the man, whom they didn't name, late Tuesday in Kalamazoo. The suspect's attorney, Allison Kriger, confirmed he had had been released but declined to elaborate, saying it was inappropriate to comment on matters under investigation.
On Friday afternoon, the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said it had not received a warrant request in the killing of Woll, a 40-year-old synagogue president and Democratic activist who police say was stabbed inside her home Detroit home Oct. 21.
Under Michigan law, criminal suspects cannot be held for more than three days without being charged.
Detroit police declined to comment on the case Friday and could not be reached for comment Saturday morning.
Adam Clements, a criminal attorney with Perkins Law Group who is not involved in the Woll case, said the release likely signals that the police lack evidence for charges at this point.
“If they made a decision to release someone, it's because they believe they don’t have enough evidence to charge or they don’t believe it would be in their best interest to charge at that particular time,” said Clements, who defends people accused of homicide in Detroit. “In a high profile case, they would want to err on the side of caution, move slowly, move methodically, to make sure the decision they make is actually supported by the evidence, especially in a case where the charge is going to be scrutinized.”
Detroit police announced Wednesday afternoon that they had taken a suspect into custody, and Chief James White called it "an encouraging development." But the chief cautioned that "it does not represent the conclusion of our work in this case." He declined to release additional details "to ensure the integrity of the important steps that remain."
Woll was found fatally stabbed outside her home in the townhouse district of Detroit’s Lafayette Park three weeks ago, in a case that has been the source of ongoing speculation.
White has said no evidence suggests the crime was motivated by antisemitism. Woll had attended a wedding the night before she was killed, and there were no signs of forced entry at her home.
She was president of the board of directors at the Isaac Agree Downtown Detroit Synagogue and worked for high-profile Democrats including Attorney General Dana Nessel and Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Surprisingly durable US economy poses key question: Are we facing higher-for-longer interest rates?
- First GOP debate kicks off in Milwaukee with attacks on Biden, Trump absent from the stage
- Sofia Coppola Reacts to 16-Year-Old Daughter Romy’s Viral TikTok About Being Grounded
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Lawsuit settled over widespread abuse of former students at shuttered West Virginia boarding school
- North Carolina woman arrested after allegedly faking her own murder
- Philadelphia police officer who fatally shot man suspended after video contradicts initial account
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Nantucket billionaire sues clam shack 18 inches from residence
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Judge temporarily blocks new Tennessee House Republican ban on signs
- These experimental brain implants can restore speech to paralyzed patients
- Mother of Army private in North Korea tells AP that her son ‘has so many reasons to come home’
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Stephen A. Smith disagrees with Sage Steele's claims she was treated differently by ESPN
- Ex-New York police chief who led Gilgo Beach investigation arrested for soliciting sex
- Halle Berry and Ex Olivier Martinez Officially Finalize Divorce After Nearly 8-Year Legal Battle
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Former USC star Reggie Bush plans defamation lawsuit against NCAA
Selling Sunset's Amanza Smith Says She Was 2 Days Away From Dying Amid Spine Infection
Surprisingly durable US economy poses key question: Are we facing higher-for-longer interest rates?
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Why a stranger's hello can do more than just brighten your day
Minnesota names first Black chief justice of state Supreme Court, Natalie Hudson
With hectic broadcast schedule looming, Kirk Herbstreit plans to 'chill' on prep work