Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-ISIS stadium threat puts UEFA Champions League soccer teams on alert for quarterfinals -Ascend Wealth Education
PredictIQ-ISIS stadium threat puts UEFA Champions League soccer teams on alert for quarterfinals
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:39:35
London — Anonymous online supporters of the Islamic terror group ISIS have PredictIQissued a threat to soccer stadiums across Europe ahead of major games in the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League — European soccer's biggest club competition.
A post disseminated this week by the pro-ISIS online media outlet Al Azaim Foundation showed graphic imagery of a gunman in a balaclava, with the message, "Kill them all," in large text. The post lists London's Emirates Stadium, Paris's Parc de Prince (sic), and Madrid's Santiago Bernabéu as targets.
All three stadiums are set to host major Champions League games, with tens of thousands of fans in attendance.
There were no related threats conveyed via any of the official social media accounts run by or known to be linked to ISIS.
UEFA, the body that runs the Champions League competition, said in a statement sent to CBS News on Tuesday that it was "aware of alleged terrorist threats made towards this week's UEFA Champions League matches and is closely liaising with the authorities at the respective venues."
"All matches are planned to go ahead as scheduled with appropriate security arrangements in place," the statement said.
Richard Barnes, a counterterrorism adviser who leads stadium security for London's Metropolitan Police, confirmed that the force was looking into the online threats ahead of the Champions League game between Arsenal and Bayern Munich at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday evening.
He told CBS News, however, that the online threats were "not a new tactic used by various terrorist groups to cause or raise alarm."
Barnes said the London police counterterrorism unit was "investigating this and they will also be engaging with internal and external partners and stakeholders to ensure this evening's fixture at Emirates Stadium is not affected."
French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said security would be "considerably reinforced" around Wednesday's Champions League game between Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona, in the French capital, in response to the threat, according to the AFP news agency.
The threats and heightened security measures come just weeks after the bloody attack on the Russian capital's Crocus City Hall, which saw gunmen storm the concert venue before setting it on fire.
- Moscow attack fuels concern over ISIS risk from Taliban's Afghanistan
A previously unheard-of ISIS Russia branch claimed responsibility for the attack, which left almost 200 people dead.
It also comes just days after an 18-year-old man from Idaho was arrested and accused of plotting to kill churchgoers in his town in the name of ISIS, according to court documents unsealed earlier this week.
ISIS has a history of bloody attacks on European soil, including the devastating, well-orchestrated assault on multiple locations around Paris in 2015. France's national soccer stadium, just north of Paris, was the only location outside the capital city that was attacked by the ISIS militants during that siege. It is not the same venue that was mentioned in the post on the pro-ISIS website this week.
CBS News' Khaled Wassef contributed to this report.
- In:
- ISIS
- Terrorism
- Football
- ISIS-K
- UEFA Champions League
- European Union
- Soccer
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Woody Allen and Soon
- Luigi Mangione merchandise raises controversy, claims of glorifying violence
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- China's new tactic against Taiwan: drills 'that dare not speak their name'
- When does 'No Good Deed' come out? How to watch Ray Romano, Lisa Kudrow's new dark comedy
- Taxpayers could get $500 'inflation refund' checks under New York proposal: What to know
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Trump will be honored as Time’s Person of the Year and ring the New York Stock Exchange bell
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Beyoncé takes home first award in country music category at 2024 Billboard Music Awards
- Fewer U.S. grandparents are taking care of grandchildren, according to new data
- Kylie Kelce's podcast 'Not Gonna Lie' tops Apple, Spotify less than a week after release
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- This house from 'Home Alone' is for sale. No, not that one.
- Sabrina Carpenter reveals her own hits made it on her personal Spotify Wrapped list
- Stop & Shop is using grocery store kiosks to make digital
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
North Carolina announces 5
Turning dusty attic treasures into cash can yield millions for some and disappointment for others
The burial site of the people Andrew Jackson enslaved was lost. The Hermitage says it is found
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
GM to retreat from robotaxis and stop funding its Cruise autonomous vehicle unit
How to watch 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' for free: Special date, streaming info
The Sundance Film Festival unveils its lineup including Jennifer Lopez, Questlove and more