Current:Home > StocksVince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault -Ascend Wealth Education
Vince McMahon resigns from WWE after allegations of sexual assault
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 21:45:47
Embattled wrestling mogul Vince McMahon resigned Friday from the WWE, the company he founded six decades ago, following allegations of sexual assault made public in a lawsuit a day earlier.
The announcement was made Friday evening in a message to staff by Nick Khan, president of the WWE and a member of the board of directors for TKO, the global conglomerate that owns the wrestling giant.
"Vince McMahon has tendered his resignation from his positions as TKO Executive Chairman and on the TKO Board of Directors," Kahn wrote in the message provided to CBS News. "He will no longer have a role with TKO Group Holdings or WWE."
In a federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Connecticut, a former employee, Janel Grant, accused the 78-year-old McMahon and another WWE employee of sexually assaulting her in the workplace.
The lawsuit also accused McMahon of sexual trafficking, alleging that he pressured Grant into having sex with him and another WWE employee in exchange for her job. In 2020, according to the lawsuit, McMahon allegedly pressured Grant into threesomes with other men, including McMahon's physical therapist and another WWE executive, John Laurinaitis, who is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.
In a statement provided to CBS News on Friday following his resignation, McMahon said that "Grant's lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth. I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name.
"However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately."
Thursday's lawsuit was the latest in a series of misconduct allegations against McMahon.
In 2022, McMahon stepped back as CEO of WWE while the company investigated him for alleged misconduct, with the probe centered on claims that he paid hush money to a worker with whom he allegedly had an affair. A 2022 report in the Wall Street Journal said that McMahon had agreed to pay more than $12 million to four women.
- In:
- WWE
- TKO Group Holdings
- Wrestling
- Sexual Assault
- Vince McMahon
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (39)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Taylor Swift's 'ick face,' Travis Kelce and when going public causes more harm than good
- A secret text code can help loved ones in an emergency: Here's how to set one up
- Green energy, EV sales are growing remarkably in the US as emissions fall. Is it enough?
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Ex-romantic partner of Massachusetts governor says she’s ready to serve on state’s high court
- What to know about the death of 11-year-old Audrii Cunningham in Texas
- This Kylie Cosmetics Lip Butter Keeps My Perpetually Chapped Lips Smooth All Day & It Smells Amazing
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Republican DA asks Wisconsin Supreme Court to decide abortion lawsuit without lower court ruling
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Presidential disaster declaration approved for North Dakota Christmastime ice storm
- Abortion rights could complicate Republican Larry Hogan’s Senate bid in deep blue Maryland
- Ranking 10 NFL teams most in jeopardy of losing key players this offseason
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- A gender-swapping photo app helped Lucy Sante come out as trans at age 67
- It’s an election year, and Biden’s team is signaling a more aggressive posture toward the press
- Wheeling University president suspended with pay, no reason given
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
FuboTV files lawsuit against ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. and Hulu over joint streaming service
Humanitarian crises abound. Why is the U.N. asking for less aid money than last year?
Kevin Costner and Christine Baumgartner's divorce is finalized, officially ending their marriage
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Barry Keoghan gets naked for Vanity Fair Hollywood cover issue, talks 'Saltburn' dance
Federal Reserve minutes: Officials worried that progress on inflation could stall in coming months
Angel Reese won't re-up case for Bayou Barbie trademark after being denied