Current:Home > ContactMorocco earthquake death toll tops 2,800 as frantic rescue efforts continue -Ascend Wealth Education
Morocco earthquake death toll tops 2,800 as frantic rescue efforts continue
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:40:03
Marrakech, Morocco — Hundreds of people stood in line for hours outside a blood bank in the central Moroccan city of Marrakech on Monday, some even passing out from the heat, but all of them determined do whatever they can for their country as it reels from the devastating earthquake that struck Friday night.
The United Nations estimated that some 300,000 people had been affected by the al-Houz quake — a powerful 6.8 magnitude temblor that struck a region unaccustomed and ill-prepared for such a jolt. On Monday, the death toll rose to 2,862, with another 2,562 injured, according to Morocco's Ministry of Interior.
Video continued to emerge over the weekend capturing both the extent of the devastation, and the frenzied moments right after the earthquake struck the North African nation.
The frantic effort to find survivors was still underway, as others turned to mourning their loved ones.
"We were having dinner," said Hamid Ben Henna. "I asked my son to bring a knife from the kitchen to cut the dessert, but he never did because as soon as he left the kitchen, the earthquake struck. He was buried in six feet of rubble."
The worst of the destruction is in the scenic High Atlas Mountains, where dirt roads snake into snow-capped peaks. Many of those passes have been blocked by rockslides, making it impossible to reach those still trapped beneath the debris of their homes.
Some could still be saved, but many more will need to be found and laid to rest.
"We just couldn't ever imagine something like this happening here really, It's just been totally devastating," said Helen Gallagher who emigrated to make Morocco her home. "We're just in survival mode and trying to get help out to the people who most need it, and we'll process it afterwards."
In cities like Marrakech, with its famed Casbah, medieval buildings that have stood for 1,000 years have been badly damaged. Some have fallen, and others could topple at any moment.
The need for aid is immense and urgent. The U.S. Embassy in Morocco said it was aware of a small number of Americans who were hurt in the quake, but none who were killed.
- In:
- Rescue
- Africa
- Morocco
- Disaster
- Earthquake
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (8)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- 'Bojagnles': Chain's North Carolina location adds typo to the menu
- Orlando city commissioner charged with spending 96-year-old woman’s money on a home, personal items
- CLFCOIN CEO David Williams: Bitcoin Expected to Top $80,000 Amid Continued ETF Inflows
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Is the stock market open or closed on Good Friday 2024? See full holiday schedule
- 'Ernie Hudson doesn't age': Fans gush over 78-year-old 'Ghostbusters' star
- Bus driver accused of stalking boy, 8, sentenced to nine years in prison
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- On last day of Georgia legislative session, bills must pass or die
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Magnitude 2.8 earthquake shakes southern Illinois; no damage or injuries reported
- Man in Scream-Like Mask Allegedly Killed Neighbor With Chainsaw and Knife in Pennsylvania
- Law enforcement executed search warrants at Atlantic City mayor’s home, attorney says
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Can adults get hand, foot and mouth disease? Yes, but here's why kids are more impacted.
- Traffic deaths rise in U.S. cities despite billions spent to make streets safer
- 'Ernie Hudson doesn't age': Fans gush over 78-year-old 'Ghostbusters' star
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
'Cowboy Carter' includes a 'Jolene' cover, but Beyoncé brings added ferocity to the lryics
Tennis great Roger Federer to deliver Dartmouth’s commencement address
Georgia joins states seeking parental permission before children join social media
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Man who allegedly punched NYC woman in the face arrested after viral TikTok video
NOAA warns boaters to steer clear of 11 shipwrecks, including WWII minesweeper, in marine sanctuary east of Boston
Older Florida couple found slain in their home; police believe killer stole their car