Current:Home > StocksFormer state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars -Ascend Wealth Education
Former state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:48:49
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A former state senator was accused Wednesday of lying in order to get a COVID-19 relief loan for his casino and using the money to buy luxury cars for himself and his wife, a Republican leader in the New Hampshire House.
The allegations against former Sen. Andy Sanborn were announced by the attorney general’s office, which reviews the owners of charitable gaming businesses every five years. Sanborn owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and is seeking to open a much larger venue a few miles away, but the state lottery commission is now moving to permanently ban him from operating any such business.
The commission gave Sanborn 10 days to request a hearing. In the meantime, federal authorities have been notified, and the state has begun a criminal investigation, said Attorney General John Formella.
“This case highlights the importance of law enforcement’s role in keeping illegal activity out of New Hampshire’s charitable gaming industry,” he said in a statement. “Our obligation to protect the public demands that we take action against any person who is found to have used their regulated casino to enrich themselves with fraudulently obtained taxpayer funds.”
Sanborn, of Bedford, served four terms in the state Senate before unsuccessfully running for Congress in 2018. His wife, Laurie Sanborn, is in her 7th term in the House, where she serves as speaker pro tempore and chair of the Ways and Means Committee. Neither responded to emails seeking comment Wednesday; Laurie Sanborn’s phone was not accepting new voicemail messages.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services.”
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, the attorney general said.
In June, the Concord Planning Board approved his proposal to build a 24,000-square-foot (2,230-square-meter) casino and restaurant, with the possibility of adding a hotel and event center. According to the Concord Monitor, the board had been considering the proposal for months when Sanborn forced a vote despite some members’ concerns about a lack of public vetting.
Rep. Matt Wilhelm, the House Democratic leader, said the attorney general’s report was deeply concerning and called on House Speaker Sherm Packard to remove Laurie Sanborn from a commission studying charitable gaming laws. House Republican leaders did not respond to a request for comment.
veryGood! (2698)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Badass Moms. 'Short-Ass Movies.' How Netflix hooks you with catchy categories.
- Marcus Outzen dies: Former Florida State quarterback started national title game
- Potential serial killer arrested after 2 women found dead in Florida
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Elon Musk says Tesla aims to introduce a $25,000 model in 2025
- Bucks defeat Pacers in Game 5 without Giannis Antetokounmpo and Damian Lillard
- Is Lyme disease curable? Here's what you should know about tick bites and symptoms.
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Paul Auster, prolific and experimental man of letters and filmmaker, dies at 77
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Bounce house swept up by wind kills one child and injures another
- Mega Millions winning numbers for April 30 drawing: Jackpot rises to $284 million
- Mystery of 'Midtown Jane Doe' solved after 55 years as NYC cops ID teen murder victim
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Richard Simmons Defends Melissa McCarthy After Barbra Streisand's Ozempic Comments
- South Carolina Senate takes up ban on gender-affirming care for transgender minors
- Kelly Clarkson mistakes her song for a Christina Aguilera hit in a game with Anne Hathaway
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Ex-NFL player Emmanuel Acho and actor Noa Tishby team up for Uncomfortable Conversations with a Jew to tackle antisemitism
Biden to travel to North Carolina to meet with families of officers killed in deadly shooting
A man claims he operated a food truck to get a pandemic loan. Prosecutors say he was an inmate
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Arizona’s Democratic leaders make final push to repeal 19th century abortion ban
Rob Marciano, 'ABC World News Tonight' and 'GMA' meteorologist, exits ABC News after 10 years
White House considers welcoming some Palestinians from war-torn Gaza as refugees