Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-Witnesses in Nigeria say hundreds of children kidnapped in second mass-abduction in less than a week -Ascend Wealth Education
Ethermac Exchange-Witnesses in Nigeria say hundreds of children kidnapped in second mass-abduction in less than a week
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:55:10
Johannesburg — More than 280 students were kidnapped from their elementary school in northern Nigeria early Thursday morning by unknown assailants on Ethermac Exchangemotorcycles, witnesses have told the French news agency AFP. If the numbers are confirmed, it could be an even bigger kidnapping event than the notorious 2014 raid by Boko Haram Islamic militants on a school in the Nigerian town of Chibok, which saw 276 girls taken from their dormitory, almost 100 of whom remain missing.
Local media outlets and CBS News' partner network BBC News first reported the Thursday mass abduction — the second to hit Nigeria in less than a week, saying one student was shot in the chaos at the school in the town of Kuriga, in Kaduna state, and taken to a hospital.
AFP said Friday, citing residents, that one person was killed in the attack, but it was unclear if a student or adult had died.
BBC News quoted witnesses on Thursday as saying the children from Kuriga were between the ages of 8 and 15, and that one teacher was taken along with them. Kaduna state officials confirmed the mass abduction in Kuriga, but said they could not provide figures as they were still trying to work out how many children might have escaped or been released.
The abduction came just days after another mass-kidnapping in Nigeria's tumultuous north, which reportedly saw scores of children, mostly girls, seized by militants in Borno state, further to the east.
Sani Abdullahi, a teacher at the GSS Kuriga school, told AFP that staff members had managed to escape with many students when unidentified gunmen stormed the building early Thursday, firing into the air.
"In GSS Kuriga, 187 children are missing," Abdullahi told AFP, referring to a secondary school in the town. He added that another 125 children were taken from the linked elementary school, but said "25 returned."
Muhammad Adam, a local resident, also told AFP that upwards of 280 children had been abducted.
"Early in the morning, before we got up, we heard gunshots from bandits, before we knew it they had gathered up the children and taken away the students and their teachers, almost 200 people," Musa Mohammed, another resident told the French news agency. "We are pleading to the government, all of us are pleading, they should please help us with security."
In the previous incident, dozens of young women and girls who had been out collecting firewood near a camp for internally displaced people in Borno were said to have been seized by gunmen.
Witnesses told local news outlets that more than 100 young woman and several boys were seized from near the Babban Sansani IDP camp.
Until last week, there had been a significant drop in the number of kidnappings by criminal groups, commonly known as bandits, in Nigeria. The Nigerian government had issued no comment on either of the attacks by late Thursday afternoon.
The Nigerian Daily Trust newspaper, quoting a source from inside the Babba Sansani camp, said the fighters were from the Islamic militant group Boko Haram, and "three of the girls who escaped and returned to Ngala said the boys [insurgents] took them" close to a village across Nigeria's northeast border in neighboring Chad.
The United Nation's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs told the French news agency AFP that an estimated 200 people were taken in that raid, and that head counts were being done at the camp to come up with a more exact number.
There were conflicting reports from witnesses about whether the attackers in Borno state were from Boko Haram or the ISIS affiliate in the region, called the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
Both groups are active in the region.
Borno State Police said the attack took place Friday afternoon, but the force could not confirm the numbers kidnapped or missing.
The abductions come after Borno officials said late last year that most of Boko Haram's fighters in the state were either dead or had been apprehended.
If the initial counts prove accurate, Thursday's abduction would be the largest mass-kidnapping in Nigeria since the April 14, 2014 attack on the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, which saw 276 girls taken from their dormitory by Boko Haram militants.
Some of those girls remain in captivity.
- In:
- Nigeria
- ISIS
- Terrorism
- Africa
- Kidnapping
- Child Abduction
- Boko Haram
veryGood! (8)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Netanyahu pressed on 2-state solution for Israel-Hamas war as southern Gaza hit with relentless shelling
- Voter turnout in 2024 New Hampshire GOP primary eclipses record
- Kia recalls over 100,000 vehicles for roof issue: Here's which models are affected
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- He left high school to serve in WWII. Last month, this 96 year old finally got his diploma.
- Fire destroys thousands works of art at the main gallery in Georgia’s separatist region of Abkhazia
- Save Up to 72% Off on Cult-Fave Peter Thomas Roth Essentials That Will Transform Your Skincare Routine
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- The Smiths guitarist calls for Donald Trump to 'shut down' using band's music at rallies
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- 'No reason to be scared': Why some are turning to 'death doulas' as the end approaches
- A US scientist has brewed up a storm by offering Britain advice on making tea
- Mila De Jesus' Husband Pays Tribute to Incredible Influencer After Her Funeral
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- 'I just need you to trust me. Please.' Lions coach Dan Campbell's speeches are legendary.
- Bill to allow “human composting” wins overwhelming approval in Delaware House
- 1000-Lb Sisters' Amy Slaton Breaks Down in Tears During Family Vacation
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Watch the 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' official trailer including Aang in action
North Carolina technology company Bandwidth leaves incentive agreement with the state
Artist-dissident Ai Weiwei gets ‘incorrect’ during an appearance at The Town Hall in Manhattan
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
January's full moon rises Thursday: What to know about the 'wolf moon'
China formally establishes diplomatic ties with Nauru after Pacific island nation cut Taiwan ties
Did Vanderpump Rules' Scheana Shay Really Make Out With Tom Schwartz? She Says...