Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Manhattan D.A. says he does "not oppose" a 30-day delay of Trump's "hush money" trial -Ascend Wealth Education
Chainkeen Exchange-Manhattan D.A. says he does "not oppose" a 30-day delay of Trump's "hush money" trial
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 04:23:38
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg told a judge Thursday that his office is Chainkeen Exchangewilling to delay the upcoming trial of former President Donald Trump by a month, a stunning turn of events just 11 days before proceedings in the "hush money" case were set to begin. The trial is currently scheduled to start March 25.
Attorneys for Trump in January subpoenaed the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, which on March 4 turned over more than 73,000 pages of documents. The office turned over more documents Wednesday, according to Bragg's filing.
"Yesterday, the USAO produced approximately 31,000 pages of additional records and represented that there will be another production of documents by next week," wrote Bragg, who said the documents included material his office requested more than a year ago. "Based on our initial review of yesterday's production, those records appear to contain materials related to the subject matter of this case."
Bragg wrote that the U.S. Attorney "previously declined to provide" the material.
Trump's lawyers asked for a 90 day delay as a result, or dismissal of the case.
"Although the People are prepared to proceed to trial on March 25, we do not oppose an adjournment in an abundance of caution and to ensure that defendant has sufficient time to review the new materials," Bragg wrote. "We therefore notify the Court that we do not oppose a brief adjournment not to exceed 30 days."
An attorney for Trump did not immediately reply to a request for comment. Trump has entered a not guilty plea in the case, in which he's charged with 34 felony counts of falsification of business records. The allegations related to reimbursements to his former attorney Michael Cohen for a $130,000 payment to an adult film star.
In a March 8 filing that was made public Thursday, Trump's lawyers accused Bragg's office of attempting to thwart their efforts to get material from the Southern District of New York U.S. Attorney.
Trump's attorneys wrote the documents that were ultimately turned over related to, among other things, bank records and related emails concerning Cohen, and documents seized in 2018 from "two Apple iPhones and three email accounts belonging to Mr. Cohen."
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (2733)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Connecticut’s top public defender denies misconduct claims as commission debates firing her
- Mike Tyson is giving up marijuana while training for Jake Paul bout. Here's why.
- International Debt Is Strangling Developing Nations Vulnerable to Climate Change, a New Report Shows
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Patrick Mahomes Shares What He’s Learned From Friendship With Taylor Swift
- Blake Griffin retires after high-flying NBA career that included Rookie of the Year, All-Star honors
- The Daily Money: Big cuts at Best Buy
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Dr. Martens dour US revenue outlook for the year sends stock of iconic bootmaker plunging
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Crop-rich California region may fall under state monitoring to preserve groundwater flow
- The push for school choice in Nebraska is pitting lawmakers against their constituents
- Texas inmate Melissa Lucio’s death sentence should be overturned, judge says
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Closure of troubled California prison won’t happen before each inmate’s status is reviewed
- NASA: Space junk that crashed through Florida home came from ISS, 'survived re-entry'
- Yoto Mini Speakers for children recalled due to burn and fire hazards
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Former shoemaker admits he had an illegal gambling operation in his Brooklyn shop
The Beatles' 1970 film 'Let It Be' to stream on Disney+ after decades out of circulation
Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day is back: How to get free ice cream at shops Tuesday
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan divorce: Former couple battle over 'Magic Mike' rights
NASA seeking help to develop a lower-cost Mars Sample Return mission
Caitlin Clark WNBA salary, contract terms: How much will she earn as No. 1 pick?