Current:Home > NewsUN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault -Ascend Wealth Education
UN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 03:30:47
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — The United Nations said it will repatriate nine peacekeepers from a South African contingent in eastern Congo who were accused of sexual assault and other abuse.
The U.N. decided to immediately repatriate the peacekeepers and a senior officer of the South African army “due to the seriousness of the allegations against them,” the organization said in a statement on Friday.
The senior officer allegedly tried to hinder a probe into the allegations and threatened other peacekeepers. Two other indicted senior officers will also be replaced, the U.N. said.
More than 12,000 U.N. peacekeepers are deployed in eastern Congo, where more than 100 armed groups are active.
The U.N. said its preliminary assessment found that the nine peacekeepers were “fraternizing after curfew hours” in prohibited bars where prostitution takes place. The soldiers were also alleged to have assaulted staff of the peacekeeping mission and the military police who were trying to arrest them, the statement added.
South African authorities have indicated their “full cooperation, in particular through the deployment of a national investigator,” the U.N. said, promising that victims would be assisted and that the peacekeeping mission would remain committed to upholding U.N. standards.
Such accusations of sexual abuse by U.N. peacekeepers are not new in various parts of the world, from Congo to Haiti where peacekeepers are deployed. The victims in many instances are children.
The abuses are particularly rampant in Congo, which accounted for one-third of the nearly 2,000 sexual abuse and exploitation complaints made against the U.N. worldwide in 2017.
The U.N. has also been accused of not doing enough in handling such allegations. Last year, Secretary-General António Guterres said the organization has “not succeeded in all respects, but neither have we stood still” in handling the sexual abuse crisis.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 'Brutes' captures the simultaneous impatience and mercurial swings of girlhood
- 'Wakanda Forever' receives 12 NAACP Image Award nominations
- Academy Awards 2023: The complete list of winners
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Netflix's 'Chris Rock: Selective Outrage' reveals a lot of anger for Will Smith
- 'Children of the State' examines the American juvenile justice system
- Encore: The lasting legacy of Bob Ross
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Actress Annie Wersching passes away from cancer at 45
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- 'Table setting' backstory burdens 'The Mandalorian' Season 3 debut
- 'Return to Seoul' is a funny, melancholy film that will surprise you start to finish
- Get these Sundance 2023 movies on your radar now
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- 'Avatar' marks 6 straight weeks at No. 1 as it surpasses $2 billion in ticket sales
- 'Wait Wait' for March 4, 2023: With Not My Job guest Malala Yousafzai
- How Hollywood squeezed out women directors; plus, what's with the rich jerks on TV?
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Billy Porter on the thin line between fashion and pain
Whatever she touches 'turns to gold' — can Dede Gardner do it again at the Oscars?
Doug Emhoff has made antisemitism his issue, but says it's everyone's job to fight it
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Netflix's 'Chris Rock: Selective Outrage' reveals a lot of anger for Will Smith
Italy has kept its fascist monuments and buildings. The reasons are complex
Robert Blake, the actor acquitted in wife's killing, dies at 89