Current:Home > reviewsU.S. Coast Guard suspends search for missing diver at Florida Keys shipwreck: "This was a tragic accident" -Ascend Wealth Education
U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for missing diver at Florida Keys shipwreck: "This was a tragic accident"
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:48:14
The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search for a 44-year-old man who went missing during a dive to a shipwreck off the Florida Keys last week, officials announced Monday. Crews had been searching for Thomas Faulkenberry since he was reported missing Wednesday.
"This was a tragic accident," Coast Guard Capt. Jason Ingram, commander of the agency's Key West sector, said in a statement. "Diving is an inherently dangerous activity. Mr. Faulkenberry's passion for the sea is well remembered by the dive community here in the Keys and my deepest condolences are with his family at this difficult time."
Faulkenberry was reported missing Wednesday morning after he was overdue returning from a dive to the wreck of the USS Vandenberg about 7 miles off Key West, the agency said. The decommissioned ship dates back to World War II, and it was intentionally sunk in the area in 2009 to add an artificial reef to a marine sanctuary.
#BREAKING @USCG air and surface crews are searching with partners for 44yr old Thomas Faulkenberry, who was last seen diving, Wed., wearing black dive gear with black fins in the vicinity of Vandenburg Wreck.
— USCGSoutheast (@USCGSoutheast) August 2, 2023
Anyone with more information call Sector Key West @ 305-282-8727#SAR pic.twitter.com/AQoRszyLPl
Crews searched an area of approximately 4,300 square miles, about the size of Connecticut, for Faulkenberry without success, the Coast Guard said.
Anyone with information about Faulkenberry's whereabouts was urged to contact the Coast Guard.
- In:
- Florida Keys
- United States Coast Guard
Alex Sundby is a senior editor for CBSNews.com
TwitterveryGood! (3)
Related
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- See Joseph Gordon Levitt Make His Poker Face Debut as Natasha Lyonne's Charlie Is in Big Trouble
- 'Barbie' review: Sometimes corporate propaganda can be fun as hell
- A Black, trans journey through TV and film
- 'Most Whopper
- Opinion: Remembering Ukrainian poet Victoria Amelina
- 2 dead, 9 injured after truck hits pedestrians in Quebec
- Musician Ben Kweller Mourns Death of 16-Year-Old Son Dorian
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Wife of Mexico kidnapping survivor says he's just glad to be alive
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- North Korea touts nuclear war deterrence with submarine cruise missile test amid U.S.-South Korea drills
- Girl who went missing from a mall in 2018 found in Mexico
- From Barbie's origin story to the power of quitting, give these new podcasts a listen
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- After snub by Taylor Swift, Filipino 'Swifties' find solace in another Taylor
- Friends Reunion Proves Courteney Cox, Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow Are Each Other's Lobsters
- 2 killed in Chile airport shootout during attempted heist of over $32 million aboard plane from Miami
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
This Is How Bachelor Zach Shallcross Reminded Us of His Total Nickelback Obsession
Khloe Kardashian Has the Perfect Response to Critical Comment About Tumor Removal Bandage
Savannah Guthrie Leaves Today During Live Broadcast After Testing Positive for COVID
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Kelsea Ballerini Is Putting Her Heart First During Healing Journey After Morgan Evans Divorce
Don't Miss This All-Star Roster for Celebrity Game Face Season 4
50 years ago, teenagers partied in the Bronx — and gave rise to hip-hop