Current:Home > NewsFortnite maker Epic Games will pay $520 million to settle privacy and deception cases -Ascend Wealth Education
Fortnite maker Epic Games will pay $520 million to settle privacy and deception cases
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:33:59
The maker of the popular Fortnite video game will pay $520 million in penalties and refunds to settle complaints revolving around children's privacy and its payment methods that tricked players into making unintended purchases, U.S. federal regulators said Monday.
The Federal Trade Commission reached the settlements to resolve two cases against Epic Games Inc., which has parlayed Fortnite's success in the past five years to become a video game powerhouse.
The $520 million covered in the settlement consists of $245 million in customer refunds and a $275 million fine for collecting personal information on Fortnite players under the age of 13 without informing their parents or getting their consent. It's the biggest penalty ever imposed for breaking an FTC rule.
"Epic used privacy-invasive default settings and deceptive interfaces that tricked Fortnite users, including teenagers and children," FTC Chair Lina Khan said in a statement.
Even before the settlement was announced, Epic said in a statement it had already rolled out a series of changes "to ensure our ecosystem meets the expectations of our players and regulators, which we hope will be a helpful guide for others in our industry." The Cary, North Carolina, company also asserted that it no longer engages in the practices flagged by the FTC.
The $245 million in customer refunds will go to players who fell victim to so-called "dark patterns" and billing practices. Dark patterns are deceptive online techniques used to nudge users into doing things they didn't intend to do.
In this case, "Fortnite's counterintuitive, inconsistent, and confusing button configuration led players to incur unwanted charges based on the press of a single button," the FTC said.
Players could, for example, be charged while trying to wake the game from sleep mode, while the game was in a loading screen, or by pressing a nearby button when simply trying to preview an item, it said.
"These tactics led to hundreds of millions of dollars in unauthorized charges for consumers," the FTC said.
Epic said it agreed to the FTC settlement because it wants "to be at the forefront of consumer protection and provide the best experience for our players."
"No developer creates a game with the intention of ending up here," Epic said.
During the past two years, Epic also has been locked in a high-profile legal battle with Apple in an attempt to dismantle the barriers protecting the iPhone app store, which has emerged as one of the world's biggest e-commerce hubs during the past 14 years. After Epic introduced a different payment system within its Fortnite app in August 2020, Apple ousted the video from the app store, triggering a lawsuit that went to trial last year.
A federal judge ruled largely in Apple's favor, partly because she embraced the iPhone maker's contention that its exclusive control of the app store helped protect the security and privacy of consumers. The ruling is currently under appeal, with a decision expected at some point next year.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- In Louisiana, Climate Change Threatens the Preservation of History
- NOAA warns X-class solar flare could hit today, with smaller storms during the week. Here's what to know.
- Adrienne Bailon-Houghton Reveals How Cheetah Girls Was Almost Very Different
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Jamie Foxx addresses hospitalization for the first time: I went to hell and back
- Chipotle testing a robot, dubbed Autocado, that makes guacamole
- Treat Williams’ Daughter Pens Gut-Wrenching Tribute to Everwood Actor One Month After His Death
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Appeals court halts order barring Biden administration communications with social media companies
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- If You Bend the Knee, We'll Show You House of the Dragon's Cast In and Out of Costume
- Keep Your Car Clean and Organized With These 15 Prime Day 2023 Deals
- Holiday Traditions in the Forest Revive Spiritual Relationships with Nature, and Heal Planetary Wounds
- Average rate on 30
- Most Federal Forest is Mature and Old Growth. Now the Question Is Whether to Protect It
- Barbie has biggest opening day of 2023, Oppenheimer not far behind
- Viasat reveals problems unfurling huge antenna on powerful new broadband satellite
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Once Hailed as a Solution to the Global Plastics Scourge, PureCycle May Be Teetering
When Will We Hit Peak Fossil Fuels? Maybe We Already Have
Tearful Damar Hamlin Honors Buffalo Bills Trainers Who Saved His Life at ESPYS 2023
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
How Lea Michele Is Honoring Cory Monteith's Light 10 Years After His Tragic Death
Study Documents a Halt to Deforestation in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest After Indigenous Communities Gain Title to Their Territories
Texas Oilfield Waste Company Contributed $53,750 to Regulators Overseeing a Controversial Permit Application
Tags
Like
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Educator, Environmentalist, Union Leader, Senator, Paul Pinsky Now Gets to Turn His Climate Ideals Into Action
- Why Travis King, the U.S. soldier who crossed into North Korea, may prove to be a nuisance for Kim Jong Un's regime