Current:Home > NewsU.N.'s top court calls for Israel to halt military offensive in southern Gaza city of Rafah -Ascend Wealth Education
U.N.'s top court calls for Israel to halt military offensive in southern Gaza city of Rafah
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 04:19:15
The International Court of Justice has ordered Israel to halt its military offensive in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, and to take measures to ensure U.N. investigators have unimpeded access to Gaza to investigate allegations of genocide.
In a ruling read out on Friday, the court also called for the immediate and unconditional release of hostages held by Hamas.
Despite the ruling, the International Court of Justice does not have any way to enforce it, meaning the decision is not expected result in an immediate cease-fire. Russia has so far ignored the ICJ's order to halt its invasion of Ukraine.
The cease-fire request was brought forward as part of South Africa's case accusing Israel of genocide in Gaza, as it attacked Hamas following that group's brutal assault on Israel last Oct. 7. Israel has vehemently denied the accusations of genocide.
While the case is likely to take years to conclude, South Africa sought the cease-fire orders to protect Palestinians living in Gaza. Israel's offensive has killed more than 35,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza's Health Ministry and U.N. officials, and has caused a humanitarian crisis and a near-famine.
In a joint statement Friday, Israel's Foreign Ministry and chief of staff for national security called the accusation of genocide "false, outrageous and disgusting" and said the country is taking steps to facilitate humanitarian aid while waging a "justified defensive war to eliminate the Hamas organization and free our hostages."
Speaking to CBS' partner network BBC News, an Israeli government spokesperson said: "There is no power in the world that will push us to commit a public suicide, because that's what this is, to stop our war against Hamas."
The ruling adds to mounting international pressure on Israel to halt military operations in Gaza, nearly eight months into its war against Hamas.
A prosecutor in the International Criminal Court, also based in The Hague in the Netherlands, has recently announced he is currently seeking an arrest warrant for Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, his defense minister and three Hamas leaders.
"No amount of pressure and no decision in any international forum will prevent Israel from defending itself against those who seek our destruction," Netanyahu said in a statement reacting to the ICC's announcement.
Shortly after the ICJ's announcement, the CBS News team inside Gaza reported airstrikes hitting the Rafah area.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
- Rafah
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Why Wes Anderson, Leonardo DiCaprio and More Stars Were MIA From the Oscars
- Jimmy Kimmel fires back after Trump slams 'boring' Oscars: 'Isn't it past your jail time?'
- What is the NFL tampering window? Everything to know about pre-free agency period
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Monica Sementilli says she did not help plan the murder of her L.A. beauty exec husband. Will a jury believe her?
- Demi Moore and Her Daughters Could Be Quadruplets at 2024 Oscars After-Party
- How John Cena Pulled Off Naked Look at 2024 Oscars
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- 2 women who bought fatal dose of fentanyl in Mexico for friend sentenced to probation
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Are grocery stores open Easter 2024? See details for Costco, Kroger, Aldi, Whole Foods, more
- Biden and Trump trade barbs over Laken Riley death, immigration, during dueling campaign rallies in Georgia
- Eva Mendes Has an Iconic Reaction to Ryan Gosling's I'm Just Ken Oscars Performance
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Oscars 2024: Julia Fox Stuns in Nipple-Bearing Look For Elton John’s Watch Party
- John Cena argues with Oscars host Jimmy Kimmel over nude bit: 'You wrestle naked, why not?'
- Woman loses feet after police say she was pushed onto subway tracks, struck by train in NYC
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Kim Kardashian and Odell Beckham Jr. Leave Oscars After-Party Together Amid Romance Rumors
Which NFL team has the most salary cap space? What to know ahead of NFL free agency
Georgia readies to resume executions after a 4-year pause brought by COVID and a legal agreement
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Oppenheimer Wins Best Picture at Oscars 2024
Mountain lions lurking: 1 killed by car in Oceanside, California, as sightings reported
Sen. Bob Menendez enters not guilty plea to latest criminal indictment